SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
www.sliderengine.com 4 steam efficiency
Posted by: Peter Raffaele (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:32AM

<HTML>The Slider Engine Technologies website is rapidly achieving cult status for very good reasons.

The cranking arrangement is suitable for steam engines.

If you use the sliderengine crank you can spin your steamer about 20% faster and, that has got to be big news for anyone in steam.

[sliderengine.com]

</HTML>

What goes up, should stay up.

Re: www.sliderengine.com 4 steam efficiency
Posted by: Sav (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:58AM

<HTML>I think it is possible to use this for steam engines.
I think a lot of uniformed people may baulk at using liner bearings to interconnect the piston to the crank shaft big end, though they would be wrong of course.
When you think about liner bearings consider that all pistons which reciprocate in cylinders are liner bearing. The liner bearings, that is the reciprocating piston in its cylinder which is found in every piston engine is in reality the most trust worthy and durable bearing known to man. There is no other bearing in the modern or steam engine which is required to operate in such harsh circumstances. The sliderengine is exactly what it claims to be. It is a perfected scotch yoke engine.
The liner bearings in the sliderengine are a mixture of hydrodynamic and hydrostatic lubrication and they don't look like they could possibly fail to carry the load of an IC or steam engine.
In any case the slider bearings are dedicated liner bearings so they don't even have to operate in anything like the circumstance that the piston in conventional engine cylinders must operate.</HTML>

Sav

Posted by: Peter Raffaele (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:10AM

<HTML>HI Sav,

Correcto mundo!

There are just so many old wives tales out there when it comes to scotch yoke engines. One of the biggest red herrings of them all is that rolling contact bearings are needed to carry rhe pressure loads. This is hogwash, it is just a silly excuse trotted out by those who have failed to successfully develop the scotch yoke, and worse, its infected great chunks of the engineering world. Suprising really given that the linear bearing is the most noble bearing of them all.

Perhaps the steam engine community will embrace the technology, i dont know. But if they truly want to increase the efficiency of the steam engine a good place to start would be by adopting the sliderengine cranking arrangement because its as obvios as a crow in a bowl of milk that an increase of 20% in rpms would have a dramatic impact indeed.

Its because of the sinusoidal piston motion.

The thing is of course the engine is also suitable for internal combustion engines and other forms of pump.

Whether your use is steam, internal combustion, HCCI, Common rail deisel, or even variable compression ratio applications the sliderengine has got a great deal to offer.

And another thing. Has anyone ever seen rolling contact bearings used in the crosshead of a commercially manufactured steam engine?
I very much doubt it, it would be my guess that steamers, real ones, got the message long ago- linear bearing are excellent for carrying compressive loads. They use a mix of hydrodynamic and hydrostatic lubrication.

Rolling contact bearings are point load bearings, they tend to keep spinning and in use in scotch yoke applications they end up acting as little saws cutting there way thru the oil film.

Rolling contact bearings have no place in scotch yoke engine design.</HTML>

What goes up, should stay up.

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:21PM

<HTML>Peter,
Right, rolling contact bearings have no place in the scotch yoke usage.
The problem with every scotch yoke idea that I ever saw, was the lack of any lubrication except for splash, and that never was enough.

The only place that I ever personally saw roller and ball bearings, single ones, used in steam engines, was in the Stanley. They finially got the message and went to slipper crossheads. Never in any large stationary or marine engine. The Stanley was never known as a brilliant design.
White and Doble both used cylindrical crossheads and they never give any trouble.

As a double acting steam engine, some thought would have to be given to provide the two bearing surfaces; but that is an easy mechanical design task.

What I really like in this design, is the certain use of pressurized oil feed, via the connecting rod, to the slipper surfaces. Again, standard practice.

This is a most interesting variation to the old scotch yoke, and a nice improvement for sure. I wish you well, and I will certainly watch your further progress.

JC</HTML>

Posted by: ANdy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2005 05:47PM

<HTML>I think the slider engine is an interesting design. But a higher RPM steam engine. I don't agree. The RPM limit of steam is much more of a breathing problem and a property of steam then any thing else.

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: February 20, 2005 06:55PM

<HTML>I agree with Andy. Besides, it is quite pleasant to be going at highway speeds while the engine is not turning fast enough for a modern car's idle.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.