SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1914 Stanley Model 712 Roadster
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:56PM

<HTML>There will be a 1914 Stanley 20 hp model 712 roadster for sale at the RM auction in Amelia Island, Florida on March 12, 2005. Visit [http://www.rmauctions.com/events/carlist.cfm?sort=ro&scode=am05&StartRow=101&PageNum=5] to find more about this Stanley. This is the last car listed on page 5. Since there is only one model 712 left in the world that used to belong to Earl Eckel, then this is probably the same Stanley.</HTML>

Re: 1914 Stanley Model 712 Roadster
Posted by: EARL C. LEAVEY, JR. (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:49PM

<HTML>RM AUCTION WEB PAGE [www.rmauctions.com];

Re: 1914 Stanley Model 712 Roadster
Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:42PM

<HTML>Doesn't look like the Earle Eckel car which is shown on p 247 of Kit Foster's book. Eckel car was non condenser and was right hand steering. Auction car seems much later than 1914.

Mike</HTML>

Re:NOT 1914 Stanley Model 712 Roadster
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:14PM

<HTML>Looks like pile of parts,,the steel frame looks small, not tall enough ,the copper tube to an' from the throttle looks a poor choice,,foot throttle? ,,Does it have a vin # ,,,I wonder what the R axle is. Make it safe,,it could still be fun. Ben</HTML>

Date: February 19, 2005 06:21AM

<HTML>I see that they have a photo of it now on the auction website. This car was in an auction about 8 months ago. You are right. It is a put together.</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:53PM

<HTML>I thought this steamer looked faimlure. Is that a modified Model T body? The 'controls' certainly look interesting. Is that a hand opperated reverse? I wonder if the second lever is for Stanley type pumps? Anyone have a clue as to who put this together, or how it ended up being identified as a 1914? Perhaps, it is one of the rebirths that took place durring WWII? It certainly does look as though it would be a fun car to own for those that always enjoy 'improving' things.
Garry
And yes, those copper lines have to go! They're down right scary.</HTML>

Date: February 19, 2005 07:25PM

<HTML>Hi,,The seat looks to be quality much above Ford,,Nice button down work. Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: February 21, 2005 08:17PM

<HTML>The last time this steamer was up for auction, I was given an opportunity to critique it by looking at a pile of photos. From the photos that I had viewed, the roadster body appeared to have been originally from about a 1914 Stanley model 710 touring. They had apparently used the front section of the model 710 touring and mounted it on a condensing car frame. This steamer is still quite a valuable resource of Stanley parts. It would be much more valuable if it was an original Stanley model 712.</HTML>

Posted by: allen blazick (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:44AM

<HTML>I purchased a 1921 Opera Coupe from Jasper Wiglesworth 20 years ago, and he offered me this made up car at the same time. I'm not even sure the chassis is Stanley. Whom ever purchased the car last Sept? probably now knows that what they purchased was misrepresented and is now trying to unload their mistake. Could be or should be a cheap toy for someone that just wants to play with some steam.</HTML>

Posted by: Donald Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: March 04, 2005 02:12AM

<HTML>I can assure you that this isn't my grandfathers car! You can see his car on this website in the vintage pictures section. As soon as I saw it- I checked it out- a condenser in 1914? I don't think so. I concur- a pile of mixed up parts!
Don</HTML>

Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:08AM

<HTML>Four wheel brakes and transmission with a neutral ....sounds like the improvements some of the other threads mentioned about improving the Stanley.
I guess the view depends on whether you are into steamcars or collecting.

Is there any more imfo on the "steamer" hot rod. like the gear ratio on the tranny and rearend.Maybe even feedpump and other items if not on rearend.( Maybe using one of the other tricks.Mentioned in another thread to improve the feedpump rate at low speed over the stock Stanley setup.)

Granted ,it looks a little odd.But if it is safer and better performing than the stock Stanley .Not sure if that is a bad thing to anyone other than a antique colllector.</HTML>

Posted by: Typewriteradvertising (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:04PM

<HTML>For anyone interested, the "1913" Stanley Model 712 at this sale sold - according to the web site - for $6,600.

The auctioneer deserved great credit for making a very honest and informative correction to the listing.

As one who is seeking to purchase his first steamer, I found the comments in this phorum very informative. Thank you! Don Hoke</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:27PM

<HTML>Would be intersested in an article on that car as to the differences between it and an "OEM" Stanley.Sounded like some might have been improvements on the original design......but then noone knows who the owner is.</HTML>

Date: March 14, 2005 01:38AM

<HTML>If they misrepresented the year AND model,,,,why on earth would you sassume that the rest of the description is correct ???? Thinking,,,,Ben still thinking [like Jack Benney ;--}</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2005 01:10AM

<HTML>Looked up the auction results this morning and the lowest priced car sold at it was the Stanley for $6000, certainly a good buy if the engine and other parts were usable, a good starter car for someone not looking for authenticity? Several cars went for over 1.5 million!

George</HTML>

Posted by: Eli Gershkovitch (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 05:09AM

<HTML>Hi Folks,

I just stumbled onto this website and I thought I would drop everyone who has been contributing to this thread a quick note. Myself and another well known car collector purchased the above noted car at the Amelia Island Auction. We recently received delivery of the car and are extremely excited to get working on it.

We purchased the car with the view of having some fun playing with a steam car - something neither of us has done before. As you can see from the email handle, I have a vested interest in things steam and have long wanted a steam car. I own a pub/brewery/restaurant called "Steamworks" (we use live steam from Vancouver's famous central steam line to fire our brewery). I hope to use the car extensively in connection with my business, as I do with the other classic cars that I own. While having a real Stanley Steamer would be nice, at our purchase price, it give us lots of room to play, and being a "company car" utility in this case is more important than paperwork.

A we progress with sorting the no-name steam car, I'll be happy to update any interested parties with news of what we find. If anyone has anymore information on the above noted car, I'd be most indebted if you could let us know. I expect we'll also be seeking advice from experienced steam car owners as mechanical and restoration decisions need to be made.

Thanks in advance,

Eli Gershkovitch
Vancouver, BC</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.