SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Steamer parts suppliers
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2005 08:48PM

<HTML>Presently, just about any part needed for a Stanley is available, somewhere. If it was made it once, it can be made again, for a price. The Stanley Museum annually (if not annually, they should) lists the different sources of Stanley parts and Stanley tradesmen in their quarterly newsletter. Their listing is of world wide vendors. From Mark Herman in Ct. to John Goold in the United Kingdon, they list someone for everything. Personally, I get most of my needs from Alan Kelso in McConnellsburg, PA. He has a website hot link on the Stanleysteamers front page. As far as someone making a lot of anyone thing for Stanleys and getting rich at it, forget it. The market for Stanley parts is very limited and it will take a long time to move any quanity. Usually in making Stanley parts, about all you can do it cover your production costs. The Stanley steamers are a luxury item and most Stanley owners are very frugal in their spending.</HTML>

Re: Stanley Steamer parts suppliers
Posted by: Jack Clark (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:58PM

<HTML>I'm looking for a Stanley water tank level sight glass tube approximately 13-13/16" long X 19/32" OD X 7/16" ID, preferably of heat-resistant borosilicate glass. Can you supply this? Please quote price and availabilty. Jack Clark</HTML>

Posted by: Jack Clark (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:59PM

<HTML>I'm looking for a Stanley water tank level sight glass tube approximately 13-13/16" long X 19/32" OD X 7/16" ID, preferably of heat-resistant borosilicate glass. Can you supply this? Please quote price and availabilty. Jack Clark

<a href="mailto:&#114;&#112;&#46;&#102;&#97;&#114;&#114;&#101;&#108;&#108;&#64;&#118;&#101;&#114;&#105;&#122;&#111;&#110;&#46;&#110;&#101;&#116;?subject=Stanley Steamer parts suppliers">SSsssteamer</a> wrote:
>
> Presently, just about any part needed for a Stanley is
> available, somewhere. If it was made it once, it can be made
> again, for a price. The Stanley Museum annually (if not
> annually, they should) lists the different sources of Stanley
> parts and Stanley tradesmen in their quarterly newsletter.
> Their listing is of world wide vendors. From Mark Herman in
> Ct. to John Goold in the United Kingdon, they list someone
> for everything. Personally, I get most of my needs from Alan
> Kelso in McConnellsburg, PA. He has a website hot link on
> the Stanleysteamers front page. As far as someone making a
> lot of anyone thing for Stanleys and getting rich at it,
> forget it. The market for Stanley parts is very limited and
> it will take a long time to move any quanity. Usually in
> making Stanley parts, about all you can do it cover your
> production costs. The Stanley steamers are a luxury item and
> most Stanley owners are very frugal in their spending.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2005 08:18PM

<HTML>Why do you need a heat resistant glass in a water tank?? If in fact it is a water tank,, any plumbing suplier [local] ,,should have it in stock,, Tubes come in different lengths and can be cut with a little tube cutting devise,, All this ,, assuming,,,that you live in a part of the world that uses heating boilers,, Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2005 11:24PM

<HTML>Thanks for the info, Pat. Most interesting to this (hopeful) "future Stanley owner". I have considered "improvements", but will reserve those for my modern project vehicle. My approach will be, none of my goofy mods on a piece of automotive history! I have always kept old cars as close to original as possible/practical. If anything, I will be _more_ strict about that with the Stanley. At most, I might try a handful of the simpler road-proven standard conveniences.

As for the Stanley parts market, there also aren't many Stanleys around to begin with. A few hundred worldwide, I think.

Ben, from what I've read, I think the Stanley feedwater tanks, in condensing cars, only get up to ~150°F? Borosilicate glass would be serious overkill.

BTW, does anybody know a helpful source/distributor for small quantities of that SHC634 [NOT "SCH"] synthetic cylinder oil?

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2005 12:30AM

<HTML>Ok Ok Condensing cars have a dial guage,,,screwd into the top of the tank,,,and projecti'n thru' the floorboard,,,The older cars,,dont carry hot water,,,haha,, If you run in winter,,,dont forget thats the first thing to freeze ,,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2005 04:58AM

<HTML>Right. What I was _trying_ to say (but didn't) was that borosilicate wouldn't be needed "even" if a _condensing_ car water tank could use one. Noncondensing, "f'geddaboudit". Once upon a time, I wrote well. Assuming no tank gauge wouldn't have been a bad guess tho. With some early gas cars you had to stick a ruler in tank to check fuel level.

P</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.