SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Help needed on 740 electrical stuff location
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:46PM

<HTML>Can someone enlighten me on where abouts on a 740 the fuse holder and the voltage regulator are located.
Try as I might I cannot find any holes that match the components.

Any advice, gratefully received.

Thanks
Ian Vinton</HTML>

Re: Help needed on 740 electrical stuff location
Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:26AM

<HTML>The voltage regulator on my 740 is on the firewall on the inside of the car. This is an extremely original car- having never undergone a frame off restoration (I don't think). A fuse is located on the generator/ alternator (can never get that right) which is run off the top of the gear housing- with a special gear attached to the differential gear. I may have a wiring diagram around here somewhere -repo from the factory- if you are interested E- mail me your address (deckel@goes.com)</HTML>

Re: Help needed on 740 electrical stuff location
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:37PM

<HTML>Voltage regulator? Not on an original Stanley, they used third brush regulation, internal to the generator, which limited the current to a safe level for the battery. There was a simple cutout relay to disconnect the generator from the battery when it wasn't spinning fast enough. Apel cutouts had an indicator built in which said "OFF" until the generator was up to Voltage, then it read "ON". Thes were mounted low on the dash board so the driver could see them. Some, not all, generators had a fuse in the field circuit which would burn out if the car was run without the battery and keep the generator from burning out. A 5 Ampere fuse is about the right size. The main fuse was on the back of the lighting switch and protected all the lighting circuits. It was a single 20 Ampere fuse, I think.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.