SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doble turbo blower
Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2005 05:04AM

<HTML>Anyone know how many CFM a Doble blower blew.</HTML>

Re: Doble turbo blower
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:08PM

<HTML>On one test of model E Combustion air was 512 cub ft per min at 9.1 inch of water col in the combustion chamber. See Walton page 78 and 80.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 02:02PM

<HTML>Rolly,
That is the highest run without the draft booster, look at the blower electrical consumption of 1-1/4 kilowatts. That table is mislabled, both pages are for the "F" boiler. Am surprised Walton didn't pick up on this error in his last printing.
It tqakes 25CFM per gallon of fuel burned and if the burn rate was 20GPH tthat would be 500CFM, the pressures they give are suspect. Jim Crank his exhaust turbo boosted car can run 12-18 inches of water pressure at high burn rates and this would equate to 2 or more input horsepower to the blower alone.

Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 02:34PM

<HTML>The Carlin oil burner model 1050 rated 15 to 25 GPH has a blower wheel of 7”D X 5W “ at 3450 RPM. 16.4 amps at 110 single phase. They only operate up to 0.50 inches W.C.
Rolly
PS
My ford F250 uses 8 GPH at 65 MPH, 20 GPH is getting Expansive</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:08PM

<HTML>Does any one know what side the CFM rating is messured on. Is it always the inlet side?

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 05:59PM

<HTML>The reason I asked. Seem some inexpensive electric turbochargers.
Glorified 12V vaccuum cleaner fan(radial inflow)...running 250-300cfm not sure about pressure.Supposed to get 1psi boost on a engine......don't think they would have a number for a fluidized bed wood firebox.
Considering it in place of the car heater fan ,I am using at this time for a blower.
Needed a number to figure out if I was overkill on a 15-20hp lamont.
If so,was thinking would be heating air instead of steam.
Electric turbo is rated at about same amps as the car heater squirrelcage fan.Since I am low (100psi) pressure, use a air compressor pressure switch (gauge siphon to protect diaphram) to cycle fan/blower in single speed fashion.</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2005 03:38AM

<HTML>Andy,

Checking with a wholesale catalog on blowers and such (Grainger) it seems that the CFM rating is taken at the inlet as standard pressure. I believe from what I can gather that the same is true for compressors. So a compressor would be rated for so many psi outlet and so many CFM intake. I think it makes more sense from a specification standpoint also as outlet pressures vary widely and if CFM was at outlet pressure then it would become too dificult to compare different compressors.

For most blowers that are operating in inches of water pressure differentials the CFM would be pretty close on either side of the thing.

Wishing you the best -------------------Bill G.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.