SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gas mileage
Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 02:17AM

<HTML>Hello Everyone,

While reading Jerry Peoples paper on "The Incompararable White" he mentioned that a 1907 White with a total weight of 4290 lbs got 9.2 MPG in a test run. My Chevy van of about the same weight built 88 years later is getting just over 8 MPG. This truck although running smoothly is obviously out of adjustment and would normally get 14 - 16 MPG acording to it's former owner.

So a question comes to mind; What sorts of things can go out of adjustment on a steam car such that it would still run smoothly but with a degradation of economy? What types of safeguards might be designed into a modern car to see that it always runs in top tune?

Thank you --------- Bill G.</HTML>

Re: Gas mileage
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 01:12PM

<HTML>What sorts of things can go out of adjustment on a steam car such that it would still run smoothly but with a degradation of economy?

1. Ring blow by
2. Valve leakage
3. Worn bearings, more drag.
4. Poor air fuel mixture.
5. Dirty boiler. Inside and out.
Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 03:23PM

<HTML>Etc. Poor or missing insulation, leaking stuffing boxes, and ....</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 05:16PM

<HTML> all of the above, + variable molecular weight/energy content of different fuels used and lack of exhaust heat recovery/feedwater heating, are two others.

Poor driving habits similar to those that affect explosion engine cars will also negatively impact steam car performance.</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2005 10:23PM

<HTML> Keep in mind that a White getting 9.2MPG was at probably 30-35MPH and your truck milage at 60-65MPH, a whole different world. Comparing milages should be at the same comparitive speed due to the velocity cubed function as far as wind resistance.

Best, George</HTML>

Date: March 11, 2005 02:05AM

<HTML>Hello Everyone , and thank you for your responce.

Unfortunatly George my truck is all city driving at about 30-35 mph. On the highway mileage does go up to around 10. I realize the differences in driving conditions for the two vehicles though. My truck has a temperature sensor that is off and must keep the fuel too rich. It is amazing how much of an effect a little thing like that has on mileage.

It is my hope that such sensitivities to minor adjustments can be eliminated from a modern steam car.

Wishing everyone success in their endeavours----------------Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2005 02:04PM

<HTML>It should also be considered that modern cars use belted radial tires on paved roads, which has much lower rolling resistance than high pressure bias ply tires on dirt!
In the 1906 ASME article on testing the White by Prof.Carpenter, he sites a drive by Walter White in England, on which he got 9 miles to the gallon at 65 mph.! Normal mileage for Whites touring was about 10 mpg. although Prof. Carpenter claimed he had gotten as much as 13.3.
I suspect a major reason for poor mileage in currently driven steamers is over jetting the burners in an attempt to increase power. Every pound of carbon in the fuel burned to cabon monoxide instead of carbon dioxide means you have thrown away about 10,000 BTU, or about two thirds of the heat in the fuel!</HTML>

Date: March 17, 2005 04:24AM

<HTML>Hello David

I still havn't had the time to get my truck tuned up so even with the old bias-ply tires on dirt the White was getting better mileage than mine on the freeway. It would be interesting to have the tests rerun with a nice paved highway and radial tires.

A good idea to monitor the fuel mixture, as modern IC cars do. Has the use of oxygen sensors found any appreciation for burner fuel mix control?

Thank You------------ Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:32PM

<HTML>Bill, if you find any source for radial tires to fit a 26 inch rim, let me know! I would like to try them on bothe my steam cars.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.