SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Condensing Stanley Cruise Speed.
Posted by: John Mahler (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2005 08:56PM

<HTML>Question: Will a condensing Stanley, in good repair and operating normally, maintain a cruise speed of 60 to 65 miles per hour for 100 miles on level ground, keeping up with other traffic, without needing to pull over to build up steam from time to time?</HTML>

ole puffer

Re: Condensing Stanley Cruise Speed.
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:11PM

<HTML>A stock condenser car with the original size burner and boiler will not cruise that fast expect for a short duration. Even the cars that have been upgraded with 30hp boilers and bigger burner generally will not cruise that fast consistently. A more realistic speed is 45-50 mph for a car that is steaming well.

Depending on the weather conditions a 100 mile water may be optimistic.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: John Mahler (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:50AM

<HTML>Hi Alan,
Thank you for your reply. I had been told the maintainable cruising speed was in the 25 to 40 mph range with short bursts up to 60 mph possible. But if a burst was used, or if a hill was encountered the motorist would have to strategize and stop for a few rest minutes as the boiler regained pressure.
Thank You,
John Mahler</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:28AM

<HTML>Hi Alan,

My friend, mentioned in another thread, who thinks that Stanleys have to pull over periodically to build up steam whenever run over 25 mph, saw your post and (argh) says:

=======

"I hear Alan saying such a car WILL NOT CRUISE THAT FAST EXCEPT FOR SHORT DURATION."

==========

So Alan, when you say 45-50 mph cruise speed, do you mean continuously, without slowdowns or stopping? Or just 45-50 for short bursts, then slow down or stop to build up steam for another 45-50 mph "burst"?

I know the answer, my friend doesn't.

Peter</HTML>

Never Mind ...
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:38AM

<HTML>Hi Alan,

Never mind my preceding post! The friend in question has conceded the point, in public no less, in another thread. I wrote my last post here before reading his concession; but after reading a pre-concession post from him, with the above quote.

Not a big deal really, just a disagreement over mph numbers that irked me. I like to get the facts as straight as possible. I'm too much of a "stickler" sometimes.

Thanks for the info.

Peter</HTML>

Re: Never Mind ...
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2005 02:23PM

<HTML>My car, a rather heavy 1922 condensing Stanley with a VERY tired burner, cruises at 35 mph. without pulling the boiler pressure down. So I can usually maintain more than 30 mph. on hills, if they are not too long. I can usually get 100 miles to a tank (29 gallons) of water.
I could probably maintain a somewhat higher road speed, but then I cannot condense all the steam used. The extra water stops needed cut my average right down!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.