SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
engine identification
Posted by: Tore Blom (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:09PM

<HTML>We have in our collection a small steam engine in need to be identified. It is possibly a steam car engine
How do one attach pictures here too?

Tore Blom</HTML>

Re: engine identification
Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:28PM

<HTML>You can post pistures on the SACA forum:

[www.steamautomobile.com]

I don't think you can here.

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:30PM

<HTML>Hi Tore ,, On the front page just above the Toledo car[ for sale]] there is a spot,,Mystery Photo,,,AND down on bottom of same front page is John's contact info,,,Welcome to our little forum,,,Is there any serious snow melt there yet,,annual meltdown just started here,,,My grandfather settled near here,,as far as I can tell he could stand the cold better than the heat,,and liked the song of the pines before a storm,,L'o'o'tten Norway 1850-1880,, HARZ ,, but what is a German/Austrian name doing in Norway?? ,,, ,,, The Titan looks like fun,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: March 18, 2005 07:12AM

<HTML>Ben I am sorry but I do not find a way out? Come this way in by suggestion and not much of a front page neither any Toledo car.

[steamgazette.com]

Regarding the winter end up it seem we are about the same. Snow has to give up although still frozen most of the day. But who said something about Norway? Sweden would be my address. But I presume it means not much if you sitting in us, Sweden or Norway. And I do not either actually as we are very much the same people.

Perhaps you know how to guide me in / out to where I can post a few picture

Yours Tore Blom</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2005 11:19AM

<HTML>Hej Tore,

[www.stanleysteamers.com]

Peter</HTML>

Re: MYSTERY engine photo id
Date: March 21, 2005 10:50PM

<HTML>Hi Tore ,,You have a nice engine,,Now if we all can figgure out the origin,,Thanks for getting it posted in the mystery engine section,,Pressure,, the fact that I see only 4 nuts holding the base [ cylender casting] on, says the pressure is less than most of our cars,,80# perhaps??? [Stanley is 600# after 1905 or thereabouts]] Maybee George can comment on the strength of materials etc,,,The base flange is also not too heavy,,again says lo pressure,,The reverse is common to winch or boom swinging engines,,easy reverse,,but no variable cutoff,,,Most auto engines have cutoff,,The rods look too clean for a engine having a little water down there,,Should we look at the possibility of it's being used w/ compressed air,,,I see a bolt or nut on the big end ,but its not clear which way the cap is split,,beautiful polished rods,,expensive ,,,The overall is short,,barely room for a crosshead,,so is the construction similar to a Shipman,,the one w/ no packings,,Does some one have a drawing of the Shipman and can they put it on here,,,I could draw it,,but my spell check assaulted my scanner and melted a breaker,or some other part I can't even spell on a GOOD day,,,but I got the pilot lit and all is ok,, HAVE you fellows looked at Tour 's website,,,They are really doing an impressive job up there,,,Click on his name here on discusson page OR tab in mystery section,,,Lets see if we can help out,, If it was used on compresd air there would be no need for cutoff I think,,Comments???Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:29AM

<HTML>I have seen an engine like this before. In fact I saw it running. My late friend and his son brought it back from an auction at the Henry Ford museum. I called another friend of mine to ask if he remembered the manufactures name but he can’t remember either. As far as I know it is still in the family collection.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: March 22, 2005 02:34AM

<HTML>Hi Rolly,,,If we could date the auction,,maybee the library at Ford could find the auction catalogue,,Just a thot' Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: March 22, 2005 04:59PM

<HTML>Ben, very good comments of yours, you right about the polished rods and so, and it has never been any water in that crankcase. I actually had it on the side and the pistons go to the bottom of the cylinder with the cross pin in the bottom end of the pistons.
It seems to be a single acting engine as there is no bearings on the downside of the crank. White metal on the upper half only.

(,,,I see a bolt or nut on the big end ,but its not clear which way the cap is split)

Sorry, but as an issue of my limits in English, I do not know what is meant?

Next time I will see to the positions of the cranks, It is, from what I recall less than 90 degrees.

We had it running on compressed air, about 6 amt, no high speed that way.

Tore Blom</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:04PM

<HTML>Ben Its been at least ten years, I have no idea? Give me a call.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: March 23, 2005 03:04AM

<HTML>Hi,,The nut or bolt,,,,on the big end,,lower end of connecting rod,,,,,how does it get disconnected from the crank??,,,,the usual would be a cap on the bottom,,and the connecting rod on the top ,, the 2 pieces held by 2 vertical bolts,,but this is somehow different,,,next item ,,,to be self starting it needs to be double acting,,there is a way it could be,,,if I can find the Shipman drawing,,or get my scanner running,,,The bearing fitting sounds funney indeed,,,Will the cap on the top of the cylender come off easily? Did you find the engine with tractor stuff,,,,or the carosel showmann stuff?? Its still a nice lttle engine,,,Best of luck,,,and not to worry,,the English language gives us trouble too,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: March 23, 2005 03:16AM

<HTML>Hi Rolly,,,in 10 years you should recall the page number,,haha Ben</HTML>

Date: March 25, 2005 05:38PM

<HTML>Today we dismantled the engine to see what it looks inside. The pictures tell you more than my words.

We had it together with a steam car project and it was claimed being a Turner-Meise engine. However the fake of the nameplate was to cheap to even make me think of it.

Tore Blom</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.