SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ragtime-Harpsichord-'96-'20
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2005 06:41PM

<HTML>Hi,,While this is off subject,,many of us I think enjoy the music of the early auto period,,Recently I found 2 Joplin rags,,1907,Nonpariel, and Searchlight,,Just happen to be 2 models of the best Solar headlamps,,so Joplin was obviously interested in motoring,as any young man of 35 or so,,,Biggs , who was primarily interested in Baroque [earlier music] noticed the adaptability of the Harpsichord to more recent forms,,and being a Organ ist of the highest form, [ Virgil Fox not even close] He comissioned John Challis to construct from drawings and written descripions,,the first [in modern times] pedal Harpsichord w/ full 32 note pedal board,,,a totally separate insteament,,that the 2 manual conventional insrament sits on top of,,When the piano was introduced,,hammars instead of plucking the string w/ crow quill,,one could strike the note hard or soft ,,thus being called Piano-Forte, [Italian for Loud- Soft ] ,,While the old instramint fell out of favor around / 1790 it still held a fascination for the few that LOVED its crisp clear annunciation, each tone being separate and distint,,to play 2 and 4 part harmony,,4 part counterpoint / BACH,, The instrament is far from obsulete,, and so is the classic style ,, Somewhere out there is '''The Baroque Beatles album''' I kid you not,,really,,xxx The top instrament voiced 4' 8' 8' 16' and the pedal 8' , 16' But also remember that there are 2 or 3 sets of quills/jacks, and that plucking the string 4'' further from the string anchor produces a really different sound,,one rank almost sounds like a banjo ! ! ! There are stop buttons to control which set of jacks are played,,sometimes there are pedals to change this registration,also,,Ones hands can really get busy,,I asked the boy who painted the house last summer if ones hands get tired playing,,reply,,SORE as heck,,really hurt,,,,Motto, dont arm wrestle a Wanda Lindoska look alike,,Did anyone notice the Ct steam tour will be only a mile or 3 from the Wanda Lindoska museum center in Lakeville,Ct., ,,I'LL see if I can find if its still open,,Some of her things were on e/bay in the winter,,, I hope this doesnt bore you fellows,,if it does, don't read it,,, haha you got this far Cheers Ben</HTML>

Re: Ragtime-Harpsichord-'96-'20
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2005 11:19PM

<HTML>Ben, OT
I enjoy your love of such an instrument and being a banjo maker/plucker of the past really enjoy the sound of a harpsicord. Honest and true sound, much like the banjo of the past century and the steam cars we enjoy so---honest and hardworking devices that at times took considerable muscle power to operate unlike "plug -in-the-wall "keyboards and guitars. All these things pertain to an older time when there was honesty in accoustical input and output---hope John doesn't dislike this off topic thread.

Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 01:57AM

<HTML>Hi Guys,

I can't play anything and my ears are junk but I like to listen as best I can, when the notes are low frequency enough.

This is a totally appropriate subject here in my opinion. After all it's about the people in steam as much as the engineering. All the technology without the "people connection" gets too cold for my blood. So Ben, love to hear about your Harpsicord. Maybe you could make a tape or cd, be great to have.

Best Wishes----------Bill G.

PS. Just to stay on subject; has anyone ever tryed to play classical music on a steam calliope?</HTML>

ReRagtime-Harpsichord-96-'20
Date: April 04, 2005 03:10AM

<HTML>Google for Mechanical Music Digest,,and click[pound] around for,sound clips,,way down is a full length rag played on a 1908 RUTH,,whatever its called,,band organ maybee ,,the range of sound is really fun,,,good for these long winters,,The bass end of the scale of the p/harpsichord really fills a gap,,and really makes a different instramint,,which I enjoy,, For those that are not familiar with these things,,A very few big organs have a open pipe 32 feet tall whose pitch is 16 cycles per second,,The organ at Methuen has 2 ea 32 ft ranks,,the case Bourdon,,and a German free reed hiding somewhere in the depths of its innards this not only sounds at 16cps,,but the reed/w a lead piece to slow it and it whacks the side of the whatsis,,built in percussion,very subtile,not offensive ,to be rememberd,,It seems Medina Ohio, where that traction engine failed,,that meet is a major mechanical music meet,,not sure about calliope,,, Hope you enjoy too,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Re: ReRagtime-Harpsichord-96-'20
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 09:46AM

<HTML>Since this thread seems to be tolerated, I just have to chime in. What is it about steam guys and mechanical music? Karl Peterson is into this too, and from a link on his webpage several years ago, I drifted into the interest myself, even going so far as to fully blueprint a push-up player (with very traditional/proven pneumatic innards) for my 1890's Hupfer piano. With shop time diverted in steamier directions, I have since considered picking up a restored player piano from a local company. I have pleasant childhood memories of an old player piano at an uncle & aunt's east coast digs many years ago, and would love to indulge this interest in the near future. Lots easier to play than the sitar I impulse-bought a couple years ago in Seattle! Hey, how about a player sitar, with pump pedals and special paper rolls? This could use the mother of all plucker actions, similar to harpsichords ... might be a hot seller in India ...

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 12:37PM

<HTML>Putting it back on topic, while on a steam car tour on the upper Mississippi, we took an evening dinner tour on a steam powered stern wheeler fitted with a steam calliope. My wife played "classic" Joplin.

One of our hosts for the tour has a Model 70 fitted with a small steam calliope.

Somthing about "great mind think alike" comes to mind.</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 02:47PM

<HTML>Bill,
Oh yes, classical music has been played on a steam calliope.
Decades ago I fired one for a guy in a parade in San Francisco, who had it mounted on a 5 ton truck. Two mile range.
He liked Bach, and didn't like circus music, of all things, so the "Organist" played the Tappioca and Fudge in D minor and the Jig Fugue, on it just to make him happy. Talk about the wrong music on a calliope!!
Ragtime music works very well on one, though.
Jim</HTML>

Date: April 04, 2005 03:52PM

<HTML>Evil GRIN,,,I wonder if one can put a sustain pedal on that calliope,,,,and its on a truck w/ no juce brakes,,,hohoho,,that even beats the steam siren on the Vanderbilt racer,,but it got Carl to pull over as Buck roared by,,, ,,, ,,, Ragtime Piano in Modesto Ca has a pretty good site,,and they answer their phone,,They seem to specialize in tavern nicelodeons,,,10 song rolls plain or coin opp,,,I bught one of these to break winter monotony last week,,I called [info] and talked to a lifelong [started at age 15 I think] piano tec in Modesto,who gave me their phone#,,I explaind I was into cars an' bikes,not music,,He asked if I knew what a 1921 Packard 6 was,,he's looking for a carburettor for it,,seems I have one sitting on the 20'' lathe bed in the shop, a spare,,Whats the chance of lookin for a player company,,and selling a unneeded carb,,Ragtime sells replacment parts,,modern,,and also will take a std upright and put the player kit into it,,w/drum/tamborine accesories,,all under 5,000, us + piano ?
,,,Shipping anywhere US for 750, crate extra,,,they had a player on ebay last week,,they really crank em out,,,the fellow in the parts dept played one for a short bit on the phone for me,,,try that w any modern copany,,Real People ! ! ! By the way,,QRS the roll company has survived,,stronger than ever,,Google , Player Piano,,theres more stuff than you can immagine,,Also try Google , SIMPLE MELODY look caefully for a thred that has a Play Clip,,,havent heard that since Bing and Gary Crosby did a duet in 1950,,never realizing it was Arnt in1914 ,, fooled again,,Behind that page is 4 pages of songs that somehow come out of my speaker,,then look for 12 Street Rag,,The one by Perfessor Bill is the best [ yes he spells his name that way,,Bill Edwards,is the guy,,Ok that will keep you busy for a while?? tink tink ping ' tink ping ping ' tink ging ging pink pink ' . :-] Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2005 10:33PM

<HTML>Ben,
I could not find a home for my rare double valve Norris(Boston) player piano when I moved so just gave it away---I had totally rebuilt it 25 years ago and just needed a few tweaks to get up to speed again. Wish you would have taken it.

George</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2005 01:51AM

<HTML>Hi Jim,

Can't help but think Beethoven's 5th might sound good on a steam calliope. At least it wouldn't make him any angrier. Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" is definitly out.

A steam calliope would be a neat and doable project for someone with a small machine shop of the garage type, but I can see where, with an inventive bent like many of us have here, the results could be something totally wild, redesigned and beautiful.

Maybe if the whistles were a little more like saxaphones--- Hummmmh.

Gotta stay concentrated,gotta stay concentrated.

This is fun------------Bill G.</HTML>

Date: April 05, 2005 03:11AM

<HTML>Hi,,,Just rememberd,,,hearing on radio some years back,,,the mill engineer played Christmas carrols on the MILL nightengale [slide] whistle,,It was a errie sort of sound,,he needed more practice,,,but really a treat,that the mill powerhouse could entertain,,, The old 1907 Packard always whistled when it was happy,,,If she didnt whistle i would look for trouble...the throttl had a sharp edge ,,but if timing was off then the throttl position was different and it would only hiss[ in discust] I always liked happy machines,,[Bugatti were never happy] Now if I can get the Stanley burner to behave ,,Ive got the alto section under control,,the bass needs a little less resonence,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2005 05:17PM

<HTML>Couldn't help but jump in a little here.

A bit more off subject. In the September 1957 Popular Mechanics magazine, which is one of many old Popular Mechanics magaziones given to me by my grandfather(tons of neet stuff), there is an article about an organ made out of a cave be a Mr. Leland W. Sprinkle.

Over a period of three years he transformed over three and one half acres of stalactites into an organ. He tested the stalactites by taping them to check for ring, usually the most plain looking formations made the best tones, then he struck them with a tuning fork to check for pitch. To bring the stalactite to a perfect pitch he used a grinder to shorten the tip and a set of precision oscillators to fine tune them.

The sound is produced by DC electric plungers pushing against springs with rubber nubs which strike the stalactites. A central four manual console with standard organ keys is used to control the plungers, which can vary the striking force of the plungers and thus the sound level.

Very wild stuff, if you do a search under Stalacpipe Organ you will find a few sites that have pictures of it and even some small sound tracks.

The organ is located in Luray Caverns, Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.

Happy Music Making Mania.

Caleb Ramsby</HTML>

Posted by: Brad Austin (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2005 04:02PM

<HTML>I've been playing ragtime piano for years. I have 2 old pianos, one is a Crown built by George Bent Company, and the other is a Wing & Son's. Both have the normal piano mode with an extra foot pedal to drop metal tabs to play honky-tonk. The Crown also has a feature where the hammers don't go all the way in and it sounds like a harpsichord. The Wing has a feature where small lead fishing weights rest on the strings and make a vibrato sound. Just thought I'd get in on this string with other old time music afficionados. Now we need a pipe organ powered by a Stanley!

Brad</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2005 08:11AM

<HTML>Seriously neat stuff, guys. Forgot to mention that in '03 I videotaped a performance by the steam calliope onboard the sternwheel steamboat Natchez, in "Nawlins". Did some optical/digital zooms on the mechanism -- seems to be some piloted valves that operate the pipes, visible in the tape. Really delightful performance, repeated several times a day, at least around Mardi Gras time. Pretty loud too, you can hear the calliope from anywhere in the French Quarter or the Marigny district where I was staying. The upshot is, when you need your steam calliope "fix", head for the Big Easy and track down the Natchez on the levee near Jackson Square. Wandering through the engine bay while she's underway is a blast too, giant conrods and valve gear chugging away right in front of your face. She's a real _steam_ boat, not some diesel-electric thing, and runs rings around those pokey explosion-engine tubs. Watch your hands around the engine.

Thanks for the tip on Ragtime Pianer, Ben. Wonder what a conversion would do to the looks/value/originality of the old family Hupfer? I'll probably spring for a dedicated player piano, one long-time local company has a slew of them in their display window, all nicely restored classics from the heyday of the machines, but I can't remember the price now (I inquired several years ago). There's a spot in the dining room that would be perfect for it. Piano movers charge by the step, that's 5 up from the sidewalk here, the Hupfer cost me something like $200 to move in '92 but the old house had about a million steps on the way out. Yep, the QRS catalog has an amazing variety of rolls, including the latest hits! Years back, I was surprised to find that the rolls are still in regular production and lots of new songs available; the old players have quite a few active fans!

Peter</HTML>

Date: May 28, 2005 02:20AM

<HTML>NEWS,, Harpsichord Clearing House ,, [www.harpsichord.com] Click Events,,,they are going to bring 15 Harpsichords to the event in Boston,,,They had 4 insramints at Providence Ri last month to the workshop and the concert, , , A real treat,,Hope I got that < in the right place,,,Now while where having FUN,,,Heres a link to more fun,, I may try to make a mount for the Harpsichord on the side of the racer,, The Stanley museum probably wont like the idea,,,but at this point I really dont,,,, The old boys ,FE& FO would get out the violins and have an imprompto concert right on the hill,,,This clip is in real time,,the actual noise of the track,, June 28,1997,, [just after lunch ] [ Stafford St Worcester Ma ] is in the background,,Horseless Carraige Autoneers Chapter host,,,I would prefer no music,,thats me,,,but Malcolm says it's needed,,,[N' I still dont like juce brakes],,,,Oh yes 1 mile,standing start , [[[time, , 1min 1sec ]]],,Vertical climb 320',,car wt 3200 plus or minus ,, 2 people 170 --210? ,, and a nearly full water tank 30-40 gal? Full road gear [ lamps , presto bottl' , fenders , running boards , tools under seat did not pump fuel by hand,,ok ok Dave got 2 strokes before he decided hanging on was more important than pumping ,,I commented that the rules required me to ''ONLY start '' with a passenger,,haha,, [homepage.mac.com] At top of page click The Dead Horse [hillclimb] and it will show a movie scene,,,click the lower left of the tv screen to start the movie,,Steam Clean Track is Castle Hill near Gloscester Ma different event ,also fun day Vintage Sports Car event [VSCCA},,,By phone connection it takes 15 minutes,to load,,cable is real fast,,,I still get goose bumps every time I watch,,,Watching is not the word,,,for me it's re living it,,,,alllways,,and its ,its NOT years ago,,,its right NOW ,,, Oh YES, I did not build this car,,and I NEVER EVER said that I did,,, Repair yes,,Tinker and rebuild,yes,,,BUT I HAVE BUILT NO CARS AT ALL EVER, AND NEVER EVER HAVE CLAIMED THAT I HAVE,,,,,,,It is the most clever work of Buck Boudeman,,drawing on experience gained from running the racer built for him by Carl Amsley,,,who built a car from photos,,talk about difficult restorations''',,,recreations,, duplication, just for the love of the hobby ,,, How many people are capable of this task these days,,or willing to spend whats necessary to do a first class job,,,, I had fallen in love w/ the Vanderbilt racer at Fred Mariott's shop back around 1953 when I was still in high school,,And yes that very day I went to Worcester to see if I could find the trail of Baldwin and his racer,,,another story for another day,,,I havent found the original car,,,,but I think I made a day that all those present will remember for all their days,,,Performence of the original METRIC TON CLASS the ''International '' class of early? to 1908 //2204 lbs Perhaps with this clip you will understand my passion for the cars AND THE PERFORMENCE of that early metric ton class,,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: June 09, 2005 03:32PM

<HTML>Hi,,,Has anyone any ideas how a piano can be made to sound more like a HARP ?? The SIENA piano seems to have this very different voice,,a record done 40? years ago,,,, on a historic piano,,,,,Don't forget the racing clip I put just above this post,,,15 sec of madness,,an joy I ran the hill last week again in the 90 Suburban,,and am still impressed,,...Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: June 18, 2005 06:39PM

<HTML>Hi All ,,Seems this time I was looking for car parts and this time , turned up my old turntable , lost since the move,,,Its a 16'' PRESTO ,, drive by rubber [sponge?] around the rim,,33 / 78 ,,, The tonearm got steped on years ago, when the kids were standing on the table and twirling,,,,to get dizzy,,, Table is fine,not to worry,, it IS rugged,,,,I don;t think the tonearm was original anyhow,,no loss,,except, what is the proper length of arm for this,,,Is my search useless,,or is there a group of turntable geeks ,, like our car stuff??? So far it would seem anything before 1980 is classed as FLINTSTONE era ,,I got this table as very used around 1955 I think,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: July 16, 2005 12:50AM

<HTML>Tralla' la, 'la'la [ the trumpeter ] The Eric Herz Harpsichord ,, double manual w/ full 32 note AGO pedalboard has arrived at the HCH shop. It apears to be of exciting specification. Both soundboards are just fine,,a great relief to me. The case is a bit faded on one side,,the wire and felts will need to be replaced,,The football uniform it travels in has been lost, so we will make a new case, It has survived remarkably well,, a complement to the prevous owner, More details to follow, but HCH is a 3 hour drive from here, {link to HCH is 3 posts back, } [ Don't miss my other passion,,the Stanley racer,on the #2 clip , on that post,] It gives me goosebumps every time I watch it, [ the racer], really,, All for now,,from Ben, ,on cloud # 9</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.