SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bearing rollers for 740
Posted by: Dick Tombrink (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2005 03:19PM

<HTML>I have disassembled the engine on my 740, primarily to free up the piston rings. The car sat for 30 years prior to me getting it and although the pistons were not stuck, the rings were stuck. I have looked at the rollers on the crankshaft and crank pin, and they show some pitting. The races are pretty good, but I would like to replace the rollers. The local bearing supplier does not have a source for them. Does anyone know where I can get replacement rollers for these bearings?</HTML>

Re: Bearing rollers for 740
Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2005 09:44PM

<HTML>[www.skf.com]

They have rollers. Don't know if any are the right size. You would have to find a dealer. I don't think they sell direct in the quanties you are needing.

Havn't been through the site in a while. They had a list of dealers there at one time. Used to be one here. Closed up 2 years ago. They could order most parts listed on the SKF site. The dealer here handled small farming equipment. Power takeoff shafts, pumps for sprayers, tools etc. Hope this helps.

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Ken Helmick (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2005 12:53AM

<HTML>If all else fails and you can't buy off the shelf, mike the rollers. You can have a piece of slightly oversized drill rod cut into the appropriate lengths and then have them hardened. A good local job shop can turn them down with a centerless OD grinder</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2005 03:40PM

<HTML>Any roller bearings with rust pits are like glass panes that has benn scored with a glass cutter. The bearings can easily split right on the rust pits. When this happens, the engine usually come to a quick stop with damage done. Modern bearings are mostly all in metric sizes. There are only a few bearing rollers that are in the inch sizes but they are too long, and each bearing roller has to be chopped down to the right length. Tedious but do-able. I don't have the bearing numbers handy, but when the races are pitted beyond use, I install new self aligning SKF bearings in place of the old bearings. It takes some machining but it is worth it to know that you have good relable bearings in your engine.</HTML>

Posted by: Don Eckel (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2005 12:43AM

<HTML>Dick:
If you want the original rollers I may have some extra good ones laying round- send me the size- or one that you have that is no good and I will see what I can do- how many do you need? deckel@goes.com- no charge except for postage</HTML>

Date: April 28, 2005 03:03AM

<HTML> Hi Don,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry and for the offer to send me some extra rollers. I need 28 for the crank bearing, 14 per side. They are 0.750" OD x 1/2" long. I need 20 for the crank pin and connecting rod, 10 per side, and they are 0.687" OD x 1/2"long.

I sent note to SKF asking if they had any bearing rollers but the answer came back to check with Hemmings Motor News. I also stopped by the local bearing shop again today, and we were looking at using cam followers. They do make some .750" OD and 1/2" long. I would need to remove the inner race and needle rollers and just use the outer race. I think that would work for the crankshaft, what do you think? For the crank pin, I was considering converting it to a self aligning roller bearing. It could be done with a minimum amount of machining to the connecting rod, and machining an inner spacer to take up the gap between the crank pin and the ID of the bearing.

Thanks again for responding to my note. What model Stanley do you have?

Regards, Dick Tombrink</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2005 11:36AM

<HTML>If the crosshead is part of a cylender,,,, you may want to consider what will keep the piston from rotating,,,this would load all bearinsg in a strange way,, At present the rod bearing takes this function ,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2005 03:22PM

<HTML>Ben, The wrist pin will only flex on one plain, and this will keep the piston and rod assembly from rotating. Currently I have the bronze barrel type slippers as my cross head guides and I have self aligning connecting rod bearings in four of our Stanleys, and they have been trouble free for many thousands of miles. Before I had switched to them, I had experienced a lot of wear in cone type wrist pins, which resulted in continuous adjustment. Since the changing to self aligning bearings, the cone type wrist pins have been trouble free for years. The same can be said of the cross head clearances too, because frequent adjustment is no longer needed. As I reflect back, one thing that aggravated the frequent adjustments on the 10 hp engine was over speeding. I once ran our 606 at 70 mph for 5 miles on a tour and when I got home, everything was very loose. Slower speeds, like 55 to 60 mph, our 1914 Stanley 606 survives real well. The 20 hp engines are also now a lot more trouble free and require less attention. I still haven't got the 1911 Stanley 30 hp model 85 on the road yet. The 1916 Stanley Mt Wagon model 826 has been getting all of the attention lately, and it will be at Ormond Beach January 2006.</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2005 09:17PM

<HTML>Dick,
Many years ago a steam car owner was in the same fix and I believe he bought inch increment sized shafting from Thomson Co.(who make all the long shafting for precision ball slides) . It is microfinish Rc=60-62 outside hardness and can be cut to length with a cut off saw suitable for the purpose. Possibly a three foot length would be an answere if you could get it cut and ground to proper lengths(if the company still exists)

Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Ken (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2005 02:53AM

<HTML>Just as a thought. If the diameter and length are standard inch fractional dimensions, you may be able to buy hardened dowel pins that are ground and polished to the appropriate size.</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher W. Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: May 12, 2005 08:53AM

<HTML>The best final no worries solution is to do completly away from roller bearings and install self alighing bearings. There press fit into the connecting rod and crank shaft housing. Once installed no attention will ever be needed.

CWR</HTML>

Date: May 13, 2005 03:52AM

<HTML>I wanted to give an update on my problem. I continued to work with the local bearing supplier and they came up with a company in Chicago, Bearing Manufacturing Company that would build the rollers I need. I palced the order for them today, I should have them in about 2 weeks. This may not be the most cost effective solution, but it keeps the car stock and since the races have very little pitting I think they will be just fine. I appreciate everyones input. This is a great phorum to help each other solve problems. Thanks for all your help.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 03, 2005 12:42PM

<HTML>Have you received your bearings yet?
If so, others may want to use their services:

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU RECEIVED?
WHAT WAS THE FINAL COST/ROLLER?
DO YOU HAVE EXTRAS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SELL?
WOULD YOU RECCOMEND THIS SUPPLIER?
SHOULD OTHERS CONSIDER GROUPING AN ORDER TO GET HIGHER VOLUME AND POTENTIAL LOWER COSTS?
WHAT IS THE SUPPLIERS FULL ADDRESS, PHONE, E-MAIL?

Thank you in advance for the above.
Regards</HTML>

Posted by: Ken Hand (IP Logged)
Date: August 09, 2005 07:16PM

<HTML>I am having some of the main bearing rollers made. Contact me at kenhand@att.net for specifications and price. Ken</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.