SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
building a steam motorcycle
Posted by: Tom Masciari (IP Logged)
Date: May 08, 2005 08:08PM

<HTML>Hi all,
I am seriously considering building a motorcycle powered by steam. The rolling chassis is still under the shopping around stage. Hopefully, the car and truck will come later on.

Would like to pick fellow member's brains on some needed advice.
Basically this is a project that I would like see come to reality using knowledge and advice from others that have way more steam experience than I. So all advice is very much welcomed and appreciated.

I am a novice at steaming. Have steadily built up a collection of books and literature on the subject for the past 2 years. Looking foward to meeting and talking with others. Currently a member of SACA.

The powerplant is the main issue at the moment - I do not have one.
Finding an old engine is scarce enough - may have to resort to building one from plans. Anyone know of any obscure sources (I am familiar with eBay, Lindsay publications, abebooks.com) for such information?

I would imagine twenty horsepower would be sufficient for a 1000 - 1200lb (on the extreme heavy end) motorcycle (with rider, boiler, etc.). Or should I do better than twenty horses?

The package would have to be compressed in a 18" x 18" x 18" area ( this is an approx. guesstimate - will have to fabricate engine and boiler around the chosen chassis, not vice-versa.

On another note, I have quite a few doubles (and triples) of Light Steam Power magazines that I am looking to trade for same, in order to complete my collection.

Thanks in advance to all that respond,
Tom</HTML>

Re: building a steam motorcycle
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: May 08, 2005 08:35PM

<HTML>Hi Tom,
You need to speak to Gerry Stoneman about a steam motorcycle, he has completed the restoration of the Field number 1 and is working on number two.
Have a look at the British steam car site there are Light Steam Power magazines for sale or exchange, they will be found at.... [www.steamcar.net] hope this helps, all the best, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2005 10:09AM

<HTML>One idea that has never gotten beyond the "wouldn't it be neat" stage with me is a 2-cylinder DA piston valved motorcycle engine, horizontal, with cranks at 90 degrees and crankshaft integral with rear wheel hub. One cylinder/valve gear to each side of the motorcycle frame. I think that would be the ideal steam motorcycle engine. No gears, chains, clutch, nuthin. Use an early Stanley displacement-to-vehicle-weight ratio for sweet acceleration and boiler/burner/condenser(?) to taste.

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: john f. (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2005 03:26PM

<HTML>I’d like to suggest that the first thing you might consider doing is to add a third wheel, side car fashion. This gives you lots of real estate for you to put various machinery. And more importantly, this 1200 pound beast is then much less likely to topple over on top of you, possibly while on fire.

Good luck,
John Féhn
Budapest
--------------------</HTML>

Posted by: Brian Drake (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:33PM

<HTML>You might want to check out this site for some ideas on how to build one: [lindsaybks.com];

Posted by: Dave Allan (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2005 11:03PM

<HTML>Its a good idea Tom but keep it modern, what about a two stroke engine
resleved with the exhuast port only, block the carby port and inject the steam in the spark plug hole. A mono tube closed system boiler fired by LPG , maybe in the same place as the muffler is now. It's one of my untried ideas, needs some work with oiling, condensing and sutch. Do a search on steam outboards and you will see some have tried it.
Good luck Dave.</HTML>

Posted by: Tom Masciari (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2005 08:14PM

<HTML>Thanks to all that responded...
I will actively persue this matter when I have a rolling chassis to work with.
This will simplify the "what can I stuff in this area?" type questions.

I have an unrelated question....

What happened to David Nergaard? Have not heard much from him (on the forums and this past issue of the SACA publication). Hope all is well.

Tom</HTML>

Looking for a cheap project steamer.

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: May 16, 2005 07:11PM

<HTML>Tom,
Peter Heid has posted in the past about his most advanced steam motorcycle progress--definitely the best and latest of materials and design. Many years ago Hal Fuller(worked for SES and was the last Skinner Engine Company steam engineer) had built a direct drive bike using (I believe) a 10HP Stanley engine and his own boiler design and am told it was rather furocious in acceleration. The little engine could develop probably 700'# of starting torque and the starting thrust must have been frightening. Good luck with the project and please keep us informed.
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Tony Grzyb (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2005 01:25PM

<HTML>Hi Tom, I hope you like a challenge! I been working on mine for 13 years!! you run into more problems then with a car. Most cars were 10 hp or 6.5 on the buggys and a 14 in boiler and they wish they had a larger boiler, or are trying to put more fuel in it to make a hotter fire! The engine output is determined by the output of the boiler and the boiler is determined by the size of the fire!! You will use about 1 gallon of water a mile. and where are you going to put all of this!! I started with castings for the motor, then built a frame around it, with chain drive it is cheaper to change sprockets then engines, a single cylender engine is to jerky you need a clutch, saddel bags are a good way to put stuff, in mine one side is for boiler the other side is for fuel.

TONY</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2005 03:02PM

<HTML>Clutch on a steamer??? The British single cylender bikes used a rubber, or spring ''cush drive'' on all singles that I recall,,,I put 2 cush drives on my Vincent racer in a attempt to get all the power to the pave' ,,One at the clutch,,the other on the engine shaft,, A longer stroke I think would give smoother power,,,Yes I know its not so easy to change,,,Just a idea,,What pressure are you using,,and does it have superheat??? Cheers Ben</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.