SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What makes a replica or antique?
Posted by: Tom Lahey (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2005 11:33PM

<HTML>I would love to build or restore a coffin nose,....and am curious what percentage of the car, or how many components are required to be considered an antique vs a replica?</HTML>

Re: What makes a replica or antique?
Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: July 11, 2005 05:50PM

<HTML>Tom,

I would also like to know the correct answer to this. A friend who restores vintage I.C.E cars once advised that you need something like 5 of 7 key components from the year of manufacture of a vehicle to qualify for a rebuilt antique. I can't recall the specific list but key items did include the chassis, engine, gearbox, differential and radiator but did not include the body. The key components may include new replacement parts. The body exemption is probably due to early cars being sold as a rolling chassis only with custom bodies fitted by others. Also a lot of wood was used in bodies and this had a finite life. All the part numbers do not have to match the original vehicle assembly spec but it is nice to have them.

I have seen some mentioning that everything has to be authentic from the year of manufacture but this is not the case and causes unrealistic concerns and excessive expense for restorers. Regardess of how far you go, the restoration proce$$ can be very expen$ive if you have to remanufacture a lot of mi$$ing item$.

Graeme

PS. For obviou$ rea$on$, I'm not into thi$ a$pect at pre$ent.</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:17PM

<HTML>Tom,

I was able to update my background information today.

The guidelines above relate to Veteran Cars (pre 1919) being restored in Australia as developed by the Veteran Car Club. I understand some other overseas clubs have adopted the same guidelines to protect the integrity of restored cars.

A viable restoration project needs at least five of the following seven important items from the year of manufacture, namely: Chassis Frame; Motor; Gearbox; Differential or rear axle assembly; Front axle assembly; steering column and box; Radiator.

Where a full set of seven matched items is not found, the one or two missing items need to be from other similar cars of the era. For instance some radiators, steering boxes and front axles were similar over several makes of cars and acceptable for use in restorations. Missing parts are to be made to original specifications.

There may be more than one set or rules covering a restored vehicle. Road traffic licencing rules tend to me quite lax on a vehicle ID. As a result a vehicle may be registered as a veteran model but fail to be recognised by any Veteran Car Club as a compliant antique car.

Compliance guidelines may vary from country to country so what is acceptable in one place may not be agreed anywhere else. You will probably need to contact all the classic car clubs that cover your range of interest to find a set of rules to work to.

Can others with local knowledge on this topic please advise their restoring guidelines and the controlling authority. This may be a bit of a minefield for new restorers who don't realise what they may be getting into.

Definitions for antique cars may also vary from place to place. Australia uses: Veteran - Cars built to end of 1918;
Vintage - Cars built from Jan 1919 to Dec 1930.

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: Tom Lahey (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2005 12:16AM

<HTML>Thanks for a very detailed reply</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.