SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Steamer engine
Posted by: Philip Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2005 01:10AM

<HTML>Hello, does anyone know if you can get a Stanley 20 HP engine castings?
I was thinking of building one from scratch.</HTML>

Phil R

Re: Stanley Steamer engine
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2005 03:26AM

<HTML>The Stanley engine is not all castings,,,The con-rods are highly stressed,,Its more steel than cast,,,Refer to David's 4x5 blocks that are available..If you are building a auto engine,,be careful to be sure that the gear is one piece w/ the inner eccentrics,,,that way the key won't shear,,,ok,,shouldnt,,,,cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: September 10, 2005 11:18PM

<HTML>Ben, where are the David's blocks available? And yes it will be a auto engine.</HTML>

Date: September 10, 2005 11:51PM

<HTML>There's a add for them around here somewhere,,,Dave is sec of SACA so search that site also ,,Have you decided on a pressure yet,,,Suggest geting familiar w/ the Stanley shortcommings,,,a good engine, but frequently overworked or abused,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: September 10, 2005 11:55PM

<HTML>Yep,,,,look in the for sale section on THIS front page,,,,then scroll to the bottom,, and back up a couple,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: September 11, 2005 01:17AM

<HTML>Ben are you the guy that lives in Limerick Maine? I use to live in Newfield.</HTML>

Phil R

Date: September 11, 2005 01:51AM

<HTML>I found it thanks for the info. Phil</HTML>

Phil R

Date: September 11, 2005 03:18PM

<HTML>Hi,,,Where are you now?? Come over if you can,,,I have cars and engines to look at here,,and Alan has more cars west of here at NH,,,about 45min drive,,,I moved from Concord MA a few years ago,,a wild change , going from a ca 1685 house,,that my family had occupied since 1886,,to a ultea modern state of the art -- 1920 -- elegant house,, the locals call it the Mansion but I brought both of my SOAPSTONE stoves with me,,Now another assignment,,haha,,,go to page 2 in this discussion, find my harpsichord thread near the bottom,,scroll way down,,back up 2-3 posts and find the one w/ active link,,This is a link to Malcolm Lee's vid' clips ,,,look for Dead Horse [ hillclimb] ,, and Steam Clean track, ,,Dead Horse will take 10minutes plus to load on a phone connection, so be patient,,These were shot in the summer of '97 ,, I drove the racer over the road to both races,,,Driving down Main St Worcester,after the race,,I couldn't believe,,,,could NOT believe the people who gave me a thumbs UP,,,the signal of '''all ready to start'' at the race start line,,,,They ALL recognized the Racer as being the one they had seen on the hill,,,,NO THEY DID NOT WAVE,,,,IT WAS ALL 100 PERCENT THUMBS UP,, Quite a day to remember,, This in the city where L F N Baldwin,, who raced the original Vanderbilt ,,had a Stanley agency ,,,I had actually chased the car to that old building looking for the car , back around 1952 or so,,on the info given to me by Fred Mariott,,,I found 2 people who recalled the car,,but it was long gone,,,BUT,,,IT HAD been seen after the WW-I wow,,, I wonder,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: September 11, 2005 08:38PM

<HTML>Hi , I live in Plaistow NH now. I moved here about 5 years ago. I did see the steamers in Limerick around that time. there was a guy last name Dickey their and you were showing him around. He owns a few steamers here in the Haverhill Mass, Plaistow Nh area. I have been interested in the steam cars for many years after seeing one when I was a kid, probably in the late 60's or 70's. My sister inlaw still lives in the house in Newfield. I will look you up next time I'm in Maine. I did check out that link, Look's like alot of fun I hope to someday own my own steamer or Maybe build one if I can't find one to be restored.
Have a good day, Phil

[homepage.mac.com];

Phil R

Date: September 11, 2005 10:33PM

<HTML>I talked to Mr Dickey sr yesterday,,,and to Richard this morning,,,,he don't do computer,,,tho his sons and I am trying to convince him,,Had lunch yesterday w/ George,,whos been vacationing here ,,said he felt cold,,,I was hot,,haha,,,Interesting that you are at Plaistow,,,next town to Haverhill Ma,,where my old cycle shop was,,,The place Jay Leno discoverd some really interesting cycles,,at that time I had the 1895 Sylvester Roper steam bike in the show window,,,and the Vincent GF [500cc] racer in the other window,,Those were fun days,,,Tig Eldridge drove the 01 Lane to the engine meet at Doublin NH,,,over the road,YESTERDAY,,,,,David is piping a biler and rumor has Rolly comming to the boat meet on thurs,,,The harpsichord looks good,,,,thats it for now,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.