SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1921 Stanley Sedan on eBay
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2005 03:51AM

<HTML>There is a 1921 Stanley sedan for sale on eBay. Click on [cgi.ebay.com] Starting price is $8,000. Located in Michigan.</HTML>

Re: 1921 Stanley Sedan on eBay
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:25PM

<HTML>I sent 6 questions,,and got no answers, a week ago,,I note the seller has O feedback ,,,and the only ''bidder'' has O feedback also,,, Does anyone know if in fact the car exists,,,or for that matter does the seller exist,,,,The description of the car leaves a LOT to the immagination,,,well it does,, between fantacyLand and cloud nine,,,haha ,, Did anyone else send questions to the seller??? Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: September 29, 2005 07:11AM

<HTML>I sent several questions and got half an answer.
So I winged it and won the bidding.
Money will only change hands after I have had a good look.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:51PM

<HTML>Sorta like the story of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby! We'll see who ends up in the briar patch on this one!</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:44PM

<HTML>Last checked bid was $8,000....
If just the engine is free and repairable.
Looking some of the prices given on Stanley engines at auction,etc.
The chasis and body would be the difference on price.
Is the engine worth $4000 to 5000.....if so,I would think you(or anyone else) don't have room to fuss about the deal.

I think that is not far off the price of the running chasis that sold in Alpine,Texas......With no body.</HTML>

Date: September 30, 2005 08:28PM

<HTML>Was that a running assy,,,Didn't look that complete to me,, Most cars have a steering gear,, These guys that look for thousands of dollars and won't/cant buy a camera at the grocery store,,,or get a friend to pop a pic,,,,How the h,,, do they get on a computer,,,,,,,If THEY CAN TAKE 1 PIC THEY CAN TAKE 10 ,,, what gives,,, To me its an insult Give Me ten thousand and I'll let you look through a dirty window,,,NO i WONT WASH IT,,,YOU CAN GUESS,,,,I wont answer your e/m so that makes looking at the object a bit more difficult,,,, Are these people really that stupid,,or just dont care a red ,,,,oh fiddle,,,,you get my idea I hope,,,GGrrrrrrr These people CAN be even worse to deal with in person,,,,Been there done that,,,Watertown NY,,Upstate,museum,, It tooka quart of black rasberry IC to settle my innards before i drove home 12hr drive on the apointed day ,,,,, twice,,, [ I don't have time today] If you were there you know first hand,,, Ian,,please let us know how this playes out ,, the suspense is killing ,,,, Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2005 02:57AM

<HTML>Ben,

I agree that this was a most unsatisfactory auction presentation. The picture was poor and showed very little. There should have been more pictures anyway. The description was poor and there was no indictation of what major items of the car were there and what there condition was. If the seller was not prepared or able to provide follow up answers to questions, it did not deserve any bids.

Graeme</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2005 11:05AM

<HTML>There was NO words in the DESCRIPTION box,, zip ,,O nothing,,, Certainly whoever could answer,,does it have fenders are all the wheels there,,,are there headlamps,,,,,even a uninformed non car person could at least reply,,,after all they got through the ''put it on e/bay part'' ,,,,no acceptable excuse here,,Grrrr Ben</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2005 03:28PM

<HTML>It just could be that the seller of the Stanley Sedan was clearing out an estate and they didn't know a Stanley from a model T. The parts probably were all there and they didn't know what went with what. They most likely had no idea of what to say about the Stanley in their eBay listing or how to answer any questions about it. It was their loss, and the buyer's gain. Hopefully the buyer will update us soon.</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2005 06:59PM

<HTML>Hi Pat,,,,EVEN if they were clueless,,,they could tell if a fender is missing or there,,,same for headlamps,,,,they could point the camera around just in case it caught a view of some piece,,,,,One question leads to another,,,and answers appear,,,,maybee not in the detail wanted ,,but enough to build on,,,,WHEN COMMUNICATION STOPS,,ALL IS LOST OR ABANDONED,,,,carve that in granite,,,, Some how by avoiding questions etc ,, I wonder if they had any authority to sell it ,, Somehow I have trouble believing someone who can own/run a computer can be so stupid, and not just arrogant ! I'LL be waiting on more info as the story unfolds,,,That is if IAN will be so good as to share it with us,,,Somehow there may be info on trading to be gained here , or at least the early warning signs,,,,, Cheers BEN</HTML>

Date: October 02, 2005 07:41PM

<HTML>Rest your minds for 1 week.
The response I had was that the only missing item is the boiler. I asked for clarification ie: panels, wings etc and had no response.
However, I have a previous contact not far from where the car is who has a lot of the components that, from the pictures, are missing. I do not believe there is a link between the two but time will tell.
It seems to me that the nature of the response to my E mails, after winning the bid, that the seller is not very up on computers etc.
I will update you all on my return in just over a weeks time.
Either way I am going to have a good few days either putting a car back together or having a holiday.
Any other steam car owners in the area, in case it all goes to hell ?</HTML>

Posted by: Ken (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2005 01:37PM

<HTML>I only live a few miles from where this car is supposed to be. If you would like to make arrangements with the owner, I could take a digital camera over there and take some additional photos for you.

Ken</HTML>

Date: October 10, 2005 04:40PM

<HTML>I have just returned from seeing the car and it is mostly complete including the fenders, bonnet, condensor, good chassis, complete back axle, complete front axle including steering and most valves. The two right hand door panels are missing. Main body is externally in good condition with few dents and no rot.
It is a little beaten up having been stood around for way too many years and the rodents have had a field day with the interior.
I need photo's of a typical layout of the instrument panel of a 1921 vehicle and interior photo's of a 1921 D.
There are two condensor covers of the flat variety, one is copper and has several holes I assume to attach a badge to (not the type of badge that is fitted to a 740, and one is steel of the standard type fitted to a 740. I am confused by the copper cover, are there any other cars around with a flat copper cover?

Here is a list of important missing bits that someone, somewhere may have hidden in their shed:-
Complete Regulator including handle, quadrant, valve and operating linkage.
Horn and horn button
4 door handle
2 door locking mechanisms
Voltage regulator and 6 volt generator
Fuel gauges and caps for both pilot and main burner
Front lights
Water automatic

I am sure there are more bits from the dash that I will be sure about once I have some photo's.

Any help is appreciated.</HTML>

Date: October 10, 2005 08:52PM

<HTML>Dear Ian, You scored big time. Pinch yourself to make sure that you are not dreaming this up? Congratulations. I have an extra pair of 1921 model 735 head lights that need some work that you can buy from me. I own a 1922 Stanley 735 B with a non folding hard top, and it's photos can be found on this stanleysteamers.com web site. There are some good photos of it's dashboard and other shots that will be of a lot of help to you. The missing doors are easy to make since you already have the doors of the other side. They are mirror images.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.