SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Steamer Garage?
Posted by: Janet (IP Logged)
Date: September 21, 2005 05:57PM

<HTML>Hello,

I own a home in San Diego, built in 1914 - 15, with a garage with a floor that slopes to the middle with a large cast-iron grate that covers a rectangular hole approx. 3' X 2' and deep enough to hold 30 to 40 gallons of something. Could this be a garage built to house a Stanley Steamer? Is it common to drain a boiler on a Steamer? I have wondered what a grated hole in a garage could be used for other than washing a car indoors. By the way, the first owners of the house came from Maine.

Any ideas are appreciated!!!

Thanks, Janet</HTML>

Re: Stanley Steamer Garage?
Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2005 05:13AM

<HTML>Hello Janet,

Quite often such grates and holes were used to soak up the water from washing a car or hosing off the garage floor. Sometimes, if large enough for a person to fit into, the grate could be removed and the hole or "pit" was used for servicing the car, greasing, changing the oil etc.

I doubt that the hole was specifically for a steam car but was either added later by an automobile enthusiast or custom built into the garage floor for the owner of the house during original construction. Ive seen a very few of them in California and as you know they are not too common.

It sounds like you have a lovely home. That era was great for decorative plaster, nice woodwork and a more natural feel than many of the sheetrock wonders we build these days.

Wishing You well ---------- Bill G.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.