SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doble engines used in the Holt 3 wheeled Steam Tank 1918
Posted by: Tim Rigsby (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2005 04:10PM

<HTML>Hello
I am doing a project on the Holt 3 Wheeled Steam Tank, I am needing any information on the Doble 2 cylinder 75 hp engine with a kerosene boiler . The information I have states the vehicle had two Doble engines.
I would appreciate any information any one may have.
Thanks
All the Best
Tim Rigsby</HTML>

Re: Doble engines used in the Holt 3 wheeled Steam Tank 1918
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2005 05:43PM

<HTML>Do you have any info on what year this was developed,,,,The Tank Corps, I think has a museum / archives at Aberdeen Maryland,,,Harry Knox of auto fame was ''drafted'' into this project,,,,thats why the Knox cars dissapeared, around 1915,,,seems to be a little known fact,,at least in auto circles,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: October 10, 2005 06:37PM

<HTML> Hello Ben,
From my understanding it was developed between 1916 and 1917, I am sorry, but I do not know which months. It was finished in 1918 and tested with out success at Aberdeen in 1918.
All the Best
Tim R.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2005 08:27PM

<HTML>Hi Tim,,,If you get hold of the boys at Aberdeen,,please ask if they have that old Packard truck they put the LIBERTY AIRCRAFT engine[5x7-bs][1650cid][v-12] into for snowplowing I think,,If they dont need it anymore I could use it plowing here,,haha,,,,GET PHOTO,,,Wonder what else hides there,,Gen Pershings Locomobiles maybee,,,Good Luck,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: October 13, 2005 04:59PM

<HTML>Tim,

The Holt tank engine was made during the Doble-Detroit effort in 1917-18.
It used two D-T engines on one common crankcase, and an enlarged water tube boiler.
I have the original factory photos of this engine and boiler.
JC</HTML>

Date: October 15, 2005 07:20PM

<HTML>Hello Jim, I would very much appreciate a copy of that picture, Can you scan it and email it to me?????
All the Best
Tim Rigsby</HTML>

Posted by: Johnny Ryan (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2009 06:03AM

Hello everyone! I'm new at this forum thing, bear with me. I have been intrigued with steam for a long time and always impressed with Doble. How come AND why not has some one made a modern version of his work? My goodness, 1930's tech!! What a great car! Can someone spare a minute to explain this to me?

Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2009 11:15AM

Hello Johnny

If you search this phorum and the SACA one for comments by Jim Crank I think you may get an answer. It takes money to build anything steam and a Doble takes more money than most. Somewhere Jim quotes the price for getting new crankcases made to keep existing Dobles running.
All the answers you need are in these phorum pages, use the search, there is a lot of info from years back still relevant today.

Brian

Posted by: Caleb Ramsby (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2009 06:54PM

Johnny,

I have a pet theory on that subject.

Mainly it all boils down to people.

That is, virtually everyone who gets into steam cars has their own opinion as to what type of boiler and engine are the "BEST" for the purpose of propelling a vehicle!

Any steam project is going to require a quantity of money and the people who build a new system(that is not a replica or repair of an existing vehicle) are MUCH more likely to put their money into thier own idea.

Almost every Doble system was different, build which one?

As Brian mentioned, they were also not designed to be inexpensive mass production systems. He was sparing no expense(literally) to achieve the greatest effeciency out of a steam system that he could.

It is my belief that a cheaper and simpler system, closer to that of a Stanley, would be much more practical to produce.

One other major issue is that the direct geared horizontal engine doesn't exactly just slip into a modern chasis. So one would be required to produce a custom chasis, basically a whole car!

If one were to try and produce an exact replica of one of the later Doble cars, I would estimate that $150,000 would just be a down payment. . .

A Stanley type, with a water tube boiler and simple mechanical controls, with everything aimed at simplicity would be a fraction of that.

My 2 cents at least.

Caleb Ramsby

Posted by: Johnny Ryan (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2009 01:10AM

I see what your sayin Caleb. I just prefer Doble cause they go so much father than the rest, without lookin for that precios fluid....water. Thanx though Caleb. You refreshed my mind on what it takes to take on such projects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.