SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Wiring Diagram for Stanley 750 or SV
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:05AM

<HTML>I am in the disassembly phase of a 1925 Stanley SV restoration and I am creating a wiring diagram. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Stanley 750, which (in theory) should be fairly close to the SV?

At some time before 1964, someone did some "rewiring" under the dash and I have this wonderful rat's nest of wires that come together in a knot of tire tape. Many thanks!</HTML>

Re: Wiring Diagram for Stanley 750 or SV
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:32AM

<HTML>I have a wiring diagram for a 735
If you can find and identify any of the original wiring you can replace it with original type from Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc. [www.riwire.com];

Rolly

Date: October 25, 2005 01:58AM

<HTML>
[www.stanleysteamers.com];

Rolly

Date: October 25, 2005 02:41AM

<HTML>Thanks, Rolly! That is very close to what I have been working on.</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2005 01:52AM

<HTML>The 750 and the SV wiring diagrams are not the same as the 735's. The SV has a different light switch than the 750. The SV and the 750 both have fuses in the schematic, where the 735 does not have them shown. The 740 and the 750 both use the same wiring schematic.</HTML>

Date: October 26, 2005 03:09PM

<HTML>Pat
look at the diagram it shows two. My 735 only had one original under the Dash.</HTML>

Rolly

Date: October 26, 2005 07:35PM

<HTML>Dear Rolly, True. Luke's diagram that he has drawn, does have fuses drawn in it. I have the original wiring diagrams for every Model 1918 - 1928 Stanley and there are four different diagrams. My original model 735 Remy diagram does not show fuses. My 1922 735B does have fuses and I believe in using them. I only reported what my original diagrams have shown me. The differences that I noted were from observing the original four diagrams. The different Stanley models may have not been built to the original wiring diagrams, although it is prudent to refer to the driagrams when needed. The model 740 & 750 used the Bijur Generating system. SV models used the American Bosch generating system. 1928 was the model 770 and it also used the American Bosch generating system. Thank you for your continued help. :-)</HTML>

Date: October 27, 2005 05:33AM

<HTML>Dear Rolly, I have sent scans of all four of these original Stanley wiring diagrams to John Woodson to post on this website. Hopefully he can soon find a place for them. Pat</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2005 04:26PM

<HTML>Rolly, I am in error again. Sorry. I had John post my Stanley wiring diagrams on the Tech pages. My original 735 diagram does show one fuse. (I have to get new glasses) Luke did pen in a second fuse in his 735 diagram and he explained it so. My 735 wiring diagram is found at [stanleysteamers.com] I have to slow down and be more careful. Thank you again.</HTML>

Date: October 28, 2005 08:54PM

<HTML>Stanley wiring of the 735
One thing I ran into when I converted my car from 6V to 12V. After driving the car several days after the conversion it stopped generating. I pulled the alternator off for a test. It was good. The problem was there was no ground wire from the alternator to the chaise, or battery. The Stanley rear end is really floating on the springs and engine support. Running a ground wire from the alternator housing directly to the battery ground solved the problem. I don’t know why it didn’t happen with the six-volt generator. But it’s a good idea to run a ground if your rewiring the car.</HTML>

Rolly

Date: November 03, 2005 03:54AM

<HTML>Thanks for all the help! SSssssteamer sent me the SV diagram published in 1929. I spent two nights tracing wires and have figured out what is there now compared with the 1929 diagram. I'll eventually get a formal drawing of my system. Thanks again for your help!</HTML>

Date: November 30, 2005 08:48PM

<HTML>An interesting addition that many of us have installed to our Stanleys is the brake light. Stanley first added the brake light to their cars in 1928 to the now extinct model 770. Look at the model 770 diagram to see how they wrote it into the diagram. Simple. During the 20's is when the brake (aka stop, signal) light was added to most makes. The Duesenberg had a brake light in 1922. The Cadillac had it in 1923, Chrysler in 1926, Essex in 1927 and Ford in 1928. Many states presently require a brake light regardless of the year of amnufacture of your car. For this reason, many of the old cars have already been retrofitted with a brake light.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.