SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Toledo Steamer
Posted by: Tim Senior (IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2005 04:01PM

<HTML> Just bought the Toledo as advertised on the John Woodson sight. It goes like a rocket but the tiller steering frightens me to death.
My query is, has anyone an ideas where I might find some literature on it other than advertising. I would really like to find an operator manual or copy thereof. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regs to all.</HTML>

Re: Toledo Steamer
Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2005 06:39PM

<HTML>Does it have a pilot,,,or does it have a high--lo fire,,,a flat filed across the auto valve,,,,Seems I recall one of these RAISING steam on a downhill,,,while not pumping,,,no water auto,,,not good,,,,fine little engine tho,,,,all simple like Loco,,,Suspect you will write yourself the manual,,haha Be careful,,,I think this is a low pressure rig,,,NOT A WOUND BOILER LIKE STANLEY ,,,if this is true,,,follow Whitney's rules,,Do the guages look to be vintage//correct??? If the steering joints are worn,,it will likely be awful,, Best of luck,,,Ben</HTML>

Date: October 30, 2005 07:14PM

<HTML>The boiler is a flue tube Stanley type with a petrol pilot, working pressure 300 p.s.i. It has two water autos one for the level and a low water fuel cut off. The main fuel cut off is identical to a Stanley. Gauges all correct "American Bicycle Co." and all steering joint seem to be tight.
The engine appears to be of a very sound construction with an oil pump feeding cylinders crossheads and bearings.</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:43PM

<HTML>Hi Tim,
I believe you are in the UK, in which case you will recognise what I am talking about, we have found that fitting the steering damper from a 1988/89 Vauxhall Astra will do the job, they are excellent for this job as they are small, have heavy damping over central movement, with light damping when manoeuvring, they work very well on all the cars we have fitted them to, from Locomobile’s through to 735's, they completely change the feel of the steering, it will take away that feeling of who is in charge, you or the car! Hope this helps, Jeff.</HTML>

Date: October 30, 2005 10:44PM

<HTML> Ok??? it HAS a separate pilot eh, I ask as the lo fire system LOOKS the same [the valve that is] but a file is drawn across the taper'd needle so it passes fuel when closed[on seat ! ] hopefully this is now replaced,, NO?? wire on boiler,,,,or is it a Stanley boiler?? I think 300# is too high if its not wound,,,,unless its a heavier shell than std,, Is the boiler welded or rivitted ? ,Anything is possible,,,so would advise to get familiar with the specs and we all will help sort it out ,, Dont forget to test the saftey,, Oh yes ,, If there is no wire,,,are any holes / pipes going into the side of the shell ?? Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2005 09:39AM

<HTML>The boiler was built last year by J Goold , who built the boiler for my type 63, with a 10mm unwired shell all welded, and it came with up to date hydraulic and steam test ( Max. working pressure 350 p.s.i. ) plus an ultrasonic report and materials certificate. I do believe that British boiler regs are stricter than in the U.S.A. The fire shuts off completely at the correct pressure. Some fittings are screwed in to the sides of the boiler.
Regards Tim.</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2005 12:04PM

<HTML>Sounds like youre OK on that issue,,,Just curious,,is the boiler 14 or 16'' dia,,,and do you know how much it weighs ?? Best of luck,,Ben</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2005 12:26PM

<HTML>Hight 20" diam. 18" with 535 1/2" copper tubes. Weight------A lot.
Tim</HTML>

Date: October 31, 2005 04:26PM

<HTML>Gee Whizzz ,,,, Boy,,,thats as big as a 1909 ex Stanley I think ,, Did it need a mod to the frame timbers,,or was there that much spare space,,,,My early chain drive Stanley has space only for a 14'',,will not take a 16'' ,,, Luckey you,,,Drive on,,,Ben ,,, Come to think of it,,,do you have any clearence chain to burner,,or does it rub,,,haha thats the tight spot on Loco as I recall,,,cb</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.