SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Serpollet engine
Posted by: mark stacey (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2005 04:51AM

<HTML>An fellow Kiwi in Auckland has a Serpollet engine for sale. Details are on the Steam Car Club of Great Britain site. Link is [www.steamcar.net]

Fascinating engine sliding cam, flat 4, single acting trunk piston, with throws at 90 degrees.

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Re: Serpollet engine
Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:50PM

<HTML>Mark,
Thanks for the info---certainly Serpollet was very far ahead for his time and maybe even now. He even made monotube boilers with the inside of the tube radius bent back into itself so that the mass flow would be greatly increased as well as the possiblility of much greater safe heat transfer. Shame he died so early on, his forgotten contributions are of as much magnitude as Dobles work in many ways. I believe his later designs went back to double acting poppet valve engines, but then I forget so much lately bathing in the warm sun of Florida!
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2005 03:42AM

<HTML>George,
Serpollet was indeed just as good as the Dobles, only twenty years earlier.
Read his paper that he gave at the Milan Automobile Congress meeting. It is at the end of that "Steam Cars 1770-1970" book. What he was proposing for his new series of cars is astonishing.
Now, all of you, just please tell me how one machines that cam!!
JC</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2005 12:22PM

<HTML>Hi Jim,,,Probably on the same lathe they used for the shifting gas engine cams for make and break ignitors,,,and in the case of the Panhard-Levassor,,the special cams for the engine breaking system,,now known as Jake Brake,,,that they used on the 1906,,,50HP,,,Remember these boys probably all knew of the workings of the John Jacob Holsaffell [sp? ] Rose Engine Lathe,,a true profile generator,,,FUN,,,I think someone did a reprint of the 5 manuals,,there are a small wonderful collection of these lathes at Kensington Museum,,,They are not too far from Maxim's steam 'plane engine ,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2005 04:26PM

<HTML>Hi Ben,
I carefully examined that P-L cam with the little pop out section for starting, activated by a shifting rod inside the main camshaft, very impressive.
Absolutely no reason that the same design couldn't be used with a steam engine for the two cutoff positions.
So how is your new harpsichord?
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2005 05:14PM

<HTML>Rose Engine Lathe

Ben one of our members in our model club has and uses a Rose Engine Lathe. You should see some of the beautiful work he does.
He gave a nice talk on the lathe and its uses some time back.</HTML>

Rolly

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2005 07:53PM

<HTML>Friends,
This is such an enlightening and wonderful discussion. Imagine that over 100 years ago there were mechanical geniuses that could imagine/create such magnificient machinery to do such things. Many of the ultra-complex castings of that period would be hard to duplicate today. May we all pay respect to those masters of the past that did such things without "modern" computerized equipment. Good hearing from all of you.
Ben, did you really get that unbelievable(mechanical contrivance) harpsichord completed
Best, George</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.