SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Engine Lubrication
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2001 05:24PM

<HTML>
Over and under oiling are obviously both bad. How does one determine that the amount of 600W cylinder oil being pumped into the engine is just right ?</HTML>

Re: Engine Lubrication
Posted by: coburn benson (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2001 01:21AM

<HTML>Overoiling will stick rings,,,,,,,Too litle will score[RUIN] valves[and block] I'd opt for stuck rings,,,,haha,,,, has there been a good article on this recently? R.Wells to the rescue ? he has such a articulate way of presentation...The heavy stuff may not pump in a engine speed pump,,,works fine in a MADISON_KIPP,,,,The oil used in Whites will wash off w/wet steam on starting a Stanley,,but the higher temp in White needs an oil that will stand that temp,,,This just to get this form goi'n Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2001 02:12PM

<HTML>On our Stanleys, I have always adjust the consumption to match the amount advised by the Stanley Bulletins which is one quart to every 100 miles. In the last 20,000 miles we put on our 606, it seems to be working very well. Brent Campbell says, "when in doubt, use more oil, it is cheaper than a new engine". To measure consumption, simpily measure how much it takes to top off you oil tank since the last time you topped it off. Then figure your miles driven since the last filling. Divide your total miles into 100. Multiply the answer times the amount of oil used. The oil quanity is your consumption per 100 miles. Never forget to occassionally open your throttle on a long down hill. If you go too far without openning the trottle, the slide valves will starve for oil and be scored.</HTML>

Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: December 22, 2001 06:09PM

<HTML>
Thank you Pat, I will do the measurements and adjust accordingly. Kobus</HTML>

Posted by: Christopher Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2002 11:13PM

<HTML> I have both of my madison lubercators set on maxium. I believe that it is better to have too much oil than not enough. I have seen with my 1922 hat too little oil can do. It is not a pretty sight.</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: January 04, 2002 11:37AM

<HTML>Unfortunately, too much oil can also cause damage. The excess oil will carbonize and form an abrasive grit. "Been there, done tha!t"
The Stanley factory recommended about one gallon (US) per two thousand miles for car equipped with the Madison-Kipp lubricator, after the engine had been "run in" for a thousand miles.</HTML>

Posted by: burners (IP Logged)
Date: January 10, 2002 02:46AM

<HTML>By judgeing the amount of oil used, One Gallon per 1000 miles is about what I am using on the 1922. I have it set just under the most setting and it seems to do fine.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.