SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bengine
Posted by: Howard Langdon (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2005 01:35AM

<HTML>Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me. I need info on late model Navy B engines. I would love to have any information I can get - blue prints, assembly prints, or pictures. A friend of mine wants to build them. If we can get this going there will be Navy B engines on the market.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

--

--</HTML>

Re: Bengine
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2005 02:03PM

<HTML>Howard
My friend Jim Webster donated a complete collection of all the Navy engines to Mystic Sea Port. The collection is not on display, you have to ask to see it.
Also the Hart Nautical museum at MIT may have the drawings for the engine, but you would have to know what you’re looking for and be able to recognize the engine by the drawings, as they may not be marked. You also may need to know what yard first built the engine.

I think a Herreshoff engine would be a better choice and all the drawing for his engines are available at MIT. You can get a complete set of drawings for any engine.</HTML>

Rolly

Posted by: Ron Fossum (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2005 02:41AM

<HTML>Not to put a "dmaper" on the project - I think a "new" B engine would be neat, but... the engine had a real "wiggle" problem, probably due to the lightness of construction. And there isn't really a solution except to add "stays" between the cupport columns.</HTML>

Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2005 08:43AM

<HTML>How big is a B engine?

-------- Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Langdon (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2005 01:09AM

<HTML>Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. My friend, Daniel, thanks you as well.

Bill, I think it is 3x5x4 or somewhere around that area.

Howard

--</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:30PM

<HTML>Rolly,
The B engines I know all broke their frames, sooner or later. Just too fragile a design, especially with the oversized props people insist on using today.
Someone told me that they were replaced by the K engine, a really robust design.

You are absolutly right, Herreshoff built magnificent engines. His steeple triple would be a superb engine for a boat today.

Howard,
Try to find a copy of Hitchborn's "Small Boats of the U. S. Navy" that has what you want in it. Once reprinted too, so a search with a good book research outfit may be able to get you a copy. Worth any price.
JC</HTML>

Posted by: Harry Hibler (IP Logged)
Date: November 27, 2005 08:36PM

<HTML>Dear Howard,
Looking through John Woodson's Stanley Steamers site I noticed some pictures of "B" engine castings which are being produced by Scripps Foundry & Machine Work. Scripps is located in Fredricksburg, TX, Ph 830-997-3022.
Cheers,
Harry Hibler</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.