SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Tom Marshall collection website
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2005 05:52PM

<HTML>Rob Reilly reports: I have made four trips back to Delaware this year (three driving, one flying) to work with Tom Marshall and his Steam Team on setting up the nonprofit organization which will take over his home and collections in cooperation with the Delaware State Parks Dept. The group is called The Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve. The State of Delaware will own the real estate (“Auburn Heights”, consisting of the large Victorian house built by Tom’s grandfather in 1897, the carriage house and the museum building as well as the five acres immediately surrounding it). The State has also acquired an additional 200 acres adjoining the property which will become a nature preserve (hence the “Preserve” in the “Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve”).

The Friends of Auburn Heights preserve is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which grew from the Steam Team that Tom assembled several years ago. We have over 75 members now, and they operate and maintain the cars (15 steam, 2 gas and 1 electric) and the miniature steam railroad under Tom’s supervision. The plan is that Tom’s collection of cars and trains would go to the Friends, which would lease the museum building and carriage house/shop building from the State for a nominal sum once Tom and Ruth are no longer living on the property. The Friends would operate the steamers on days when the property is open to the public in addition to taking them to local and not-so-local tours and gatherings.

It’s been a lot of work getting things organized so far, but I think we are making good progress. In fact, the Friends have acquired their first “non-Marshall” car, a very nice original 1901 Mobile steamer that belonged to Alexis DuPont. And the group just hired its first employee (me) to serve as Executive Director starting in February. I’ll still keep our home here but will spend about 2/3 of my time in Delaware. There will be lots to do… fundraising, organization of the volunteers, publicity, collections management, etc. From what I have seen so far, there’s enough there to keep me busy two or three times over!

Take a look at our website, [www.AuburnHeights.org] [link repaired - JW/Admin] – the fellows have done a really nice job putting it together.</HTML>

Re: Tom Marshall collection website
Date: December 12, 2005 05:54PM

<HTML>The previous email dropped the website address. Again... <www.AuburnHeights.org>

[Pat - to post an active link you must use the complete url including the http:// inside the < > brackets - JW/Admin]</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2005 05:55PM

<HTML>Third time www.AuburnHeights.org or with brackets [and http://] -[www.AuburnHeights.org.];

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: December 15, 2005 10:10PM

<HTML>Thanks for letting us know about this fascinating site - I've already filled in e-card with queries about my car!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.