SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
20 HP Stanley Serial #
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2005 08:03PM

<HTML> I've just taken the shroud off my 20 HP Stanley engine. The serial number stamped into the cross member of the engine frame is 735-3250. This does not match anything I can find on this site in the production specs. Can anyone help?
Happy Holidays to all.
Thanks,

Dick</HTML>

Re: 20 HP Stanley Serial #
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 22, 2005 06:55AM

<HTML>Dear Dick, Congratulations on purchasing your 735 engine. The engine's serial number never matched the car's serial number. The reason for that is because the engines were staged on the warehouse floor waiting for the next car for installation. Some times they sat for a month before it was their turn to go for a ride in the next Stanley that was ready for an engine. From the serial number, it indicates that it was build for a model 735 Stanley which started in production on February 25, 1918 and ended in about May of 1922. Looking at the Sprague Register's serial numbers, your engine would have been made for a 1920 Stanley. Have a Merry Christmas.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: December 23, 2005 06:25AM

<HTML>Pat,
Thank you for your research! It kind of finalizes everything for me when I know when it was made.
Enjoy the Holidays,
Dick</HTML>

Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2006 08:11AM

<HTML>Dick,

In concert with what Pat said, the engine number of my 1920 735 is
735 3140

Best regards, Kobus</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.