SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Laying a monotube on its Side?
Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>Is there any reason not to lay a monotube steam generator on its side? Being able to do so would open up some possibilities in where I stick a few minor components, like the engine.
:)
Garry
PS: Yes I know, Oh holy Lamont that not only works its way around the oil in the water problem, but lets you play with the Reyenolds numbers, drag coefficients, heat transfer rates, and heavens knows what else...(That last statement is suppose to be an example of my sense of humor. One of these days, I will get my hands on some data for Lamont's child, and start brain wrestling the dang thing ;)</HTML>

Re: Laying a monotube on its Side?
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2002 04:08PM

<HTML>Garry,
Both Abner Doble, Brobeck, Besler all made monotubes lying on their side,its perfectly acceptable as each spiral has a number of anti-syphoning loops to keep the water in each spiral. Could even lay a Lamont on its side but not the drum!
Good luck, George</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2002 05:12PM

<HTML>The Saab boiler from a Popular Science article of 1975 details a multi tube once through that lays on its side. It looks good but I have to wonder about the 1.0mm id tubing they used.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2002 08:22PM

<HTML>Peter and all,
No reason at all why you can't lay a monotube/Lamont on its side.
All the Besler commercial units were mounted this way and the Broebeck bus boiler and the Saab too. They don't know the difference.
There are plenty of horizontal drums with good separators in them the I have seen in many industrial plants and the B & W marine boilers all had their drums horizontal.
You just have to be careful about the outlet pipe and having a good separator in there, plus baffles; but it sure has been done many times.
Look in the B & W book on Steam, lots of stuff there.
Jim</HTML>

Posted by: Garry Hunsaker (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2002 10:34PM

<HTML>Thanks for confirming my thoughts guys. I have on occasion found things that seem to me at the moment to make perfect sense, that, at a later date, turned out to be trying to run in opposite directions at the same time.
Garry</HTML>

monoSide? White
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2002 07:57PM

<HTML>The White goes round n' round,,,then up'n over ,,then around ,, up'n over ,,,Does it matter how long the tube is, before the ''up n' over ?? same idea only looks different ??Ben</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.