SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New guy wants to build steam car
Posted by: bill buttermore (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2006 04:06AM

<HTML>Hi all.

I am interested in learning more about steam powered cars and particularly how to build a functioning steam machine - small car or perhaps motorcycle.

I have access to a fully equipped machine shop, and have worked on automobiles for may years, and a steam locomotive for the past 8 years.

Does anyone have links to appropriate forums that could help me with this?

Thanks,

Bill B</HTML>

Re: New guy wants to build steam car
Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:16AM

<HTML>Hello Bill B.

This is a good forum with a lot of good information. Read everything here that you can and use the search feature.

The other forum is;

[www.steamautomobile.com]

Read all of that too.

Join SACA and buy out their bookstore. Several of us are feverishly working on the development of a modern steam engine.

You are well into the game by having access to a machine shop. I don't but will get a prototype built and tested somehow.

How old are you and where are you from?

Welcome ----------------- Bill G.</HTML>

Posted by: Doug Tomb (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2006 08:12PM

<HTML>Want to build a steam car? Try the following URL;
www.modelworks-int.com or look up Modelworks on Google. They have a full size 1901 Locomobile steam car that you can buy in kit form.</HTML>

Posted by: bill buttermore (IP Logged)
Date: January 15, 2006 04:01PM

<HTML>Thanks Bill and Doug for the replies. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. Had a car to repair, and yesterday was the first day of our steam locomotive maintenance season, so I was busy making preparations.

I am 57 years old, retired as a coal research scientist and administrator, and live in Ames, Iowa, home of Iowa State University, about 30 miles North of Des Moines.

I'll check out those links today.</HTML>

Posted by: Simon Cast (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:54AM

<HTML>Hi Bill

My name is Simon Cast from Modelworks. If you would like to discuss anything related to the Modelworks Likamobile please feel free to contact me on 00 44 7973 615438 or e-mail me at s.cast@ntlworld.com, but please bear in mind I am 5 hours ahead of you guys in London if you call me!!!!!!!!!!!. I would also like to thank Doug for his recommendation that was very kind of him.
If you are interested in getting your hands dirty with a steam starter project then the modelworks Likamobile would probably be a good place for you to start. We do all the hard graft with the CNC machining and making sure it all fits together for you, all you have to do is learn about steam cars, put it all together, steam it, and drive it!
We are possibly going to be producing a replica Coffin-Nose Stanley early next year, so if the Likamobile goes well and it has whetted your appetite for all things steam then perhaps you might like to consider a more complex project in 2007/8 with a Modelworks replica Stanley?

Kind Regards

Simon Cast Modelworks</HTML>

Posted by: john leyzorek (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:15PM

<HTML>I am a mechanical engineer with a machine shop in West Virginia, USA, and I, too would like to convert my prime mover stable to steam..haven't even finished converting it to Diesel!

I would be delighted to assist anyone without shop facilities, who might have more specific knowledge about steam applications.

Have lathes up to 21" swing & 72" C-C; old vertical/horizontal mill,, welding equipment, access to large horizontal boring mill, and have small aluminum foundry (100lb melting capacity)

Had a friend who passed a year or so ago, who planned a steam truck, said he had plans for the engine & boiler, but I never got to see them.

My interest is in solid fuel capable designs..if it will burn wood, bo problem fitting oil or gas burner, but I want capability to burn what I grow, with minimal processing.</HTML>

Posted by: Quentin Hilpert (IP Logged)
Date: April 05, 2006 10:47PM

<HTML>check out the Reliable steam engine co. I think you can get them on the web just by typing in Reliabel steam engine co. They have a 4 cylinder engine that supposedly delivers 200 horse power at 1000 rpm using 600 psi use a doble type boiler and a standard transmission for simplicity (high gear is usually straight through the gear box) I think this would be simpilist way. They also list a smaller engine 50-125 hp, 600-1000 psi that uses spool valves. One assumes they can vary the cut off but if not a person with some ingenuity probably can.</HTML>

Posted by: JohnnyF (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2008 09:36PM

I've been wondering for several months about Reliable Steam engines - not the marine type, the single acting doubles and v fours. Through all my 'net trawlings I am yet to see any mention of one built and installed in an automobile.

Does anyone have any solid experience of these engines? Has anyone got one ?

best regards all
JohnnyF

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2008 09:14AM

Hi Bill,

To see the build of a Modelworks steam car, have a look at.....

[www.steamcar.net]

Hope this helps, all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2008 09:04PM

I know of one light pick up truck that had a Reliable V four engine install. It did not work out well and has since been converted with a 20HP Stanley engine.

When run at the required pressure to make the truck road worthy there was so much blow by it became a constant problem dealing with the condensate in the oil. I know different piston and rings were tried as well as systems to remove the water in the oil. Your time a patience take it toll.

Rolly

Posted by: JohnnyF (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2008 12:08AM

Oh, thank you. it would be a shame to pay shipping to UK on one of these kits if there are big problems - but wait! could it not have been a case of incorrect cylinder boring technique, such as omitting to provide for bore distortion when the heads are tightened down ?

JohnnyF - uk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.