SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Engine on eBay
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:15AM

<HTML>Does anyone know what this steam engine on eBay comes from. The item number is 7587004346.</HTML>

Re: Steam Engine on eBay
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2006 03:18PM

<HTML>It is a Mason Regulator type 1 engine made for the 1899 Locomobile and other steam carriages at the turn of the century. It had a single cross head flat guide on each side of the bronze engine frame. The later type 2 Locomobile built engine had a forged steel engine frame, later style double guides on each cross head and it was first advertised in December 1899. The engine number stamped on the Mason engine frame did not match the Locomobiles' serial numbers on the car. Later type 2 engine numbers did match the Locomobile's serial number on the car. Information taken from Donald Ball's book "The Genealogy of the Locomobile". Anyone interested in Locomobile steam should own this large formated 54 page book.</HTML>

Posted by: John Hampton (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:34PM

<HTML>I believe subject motor is not a Mason Regulator Co. Nš 1 engine. The brass frame is quite different, and the valve box cover is a different size. However I see that on the main bearing casing a number seem to have been stamped. Perhaps that number could assist on identification.
Rgds John</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:54PM

<HTML>The main bearings appear to be plain,,,the big ends appear to be marine style,,,,this could be Mason OR PENNEY CO of Mechanic falls Maine,,,Penny co DID supply the early Locomobile engines,,We do know that as fact,,,More info needid,,,Where did I see those drawings last,,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:13AM

<HTML>Hi All,
The engine is from an early White around 1902, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:18AM

<HTML>Oh yeh,,,, We had a lunch to big to finnish at the diner at Mechanic Falls today,,All for 4 bucks,,,Stopped by Bob Baehr's restoration shop to see Austie Clarks old 66,,,the one that raced in England in about '54,,And the Mormon Meteor,,,speed record car,,,,afterwards looked at video recopy of 1938 Raceland VMCCA meet,,,, Fred Mariott driving a 04 BX w/Ray Stanley in the combo seat,,, 1906 Locomobile #16, the 1908 VC winner ,,The giant Fiat,,w/Ralph De Palma driving,horsepower unknown,,,Watermans 1908 GP Mercedes,,a Vanderbilt Renault of 1907,,[the year the Vanderbilt race was called off,]] All back when a good car meet could be held in a members country estate,,,on the west side,,at the horse track,,complete w/ the little house at the finnish line,,,Yes I have been there,,tho years later,,,shortly after this,,the developers got it I think,,,the memories are now better than reality,,,I should find a GOOD grandfathers clock,,,,that r u n s s l o w l y to savor the years,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:20AM

<HTML>Did the white engine have plain bearings??? Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:44AM

<HTML>Hi All,
Have a look at this picture taken of Bob Dyke's 1903 White engine, Jeff.

[www.steamcar.net];

Date: February 08, 2006 01:04AM

<HTML>Thanks for all the information. I don't have a 1902 White, so I'm going to pass on this one.

By the way, if anyone has a Starting Valve for a 1925 Stanley SV, I need one. I believe it is like, if not identical to, the 740 Starting Valve.

This valve sits between the pressurized pilot fuel line and the main fuel line heading to the low water shut off valve and ultimately into the burner.

When starting the SV, this valve admits gasoline into the main burner, and once it is going and hot, this valve is closed and the Main Burner Valve is opened, thus admitting kerosene into the main burner.

Thanks to Pat & Walter & Marvin at Ormond Beach for the information.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:00AM

<HTML>Hi ,,, Don'tforget to put a chcck valve in the line, to prevent accidential over pressure of pilot tank,,I call it the PRIME valve,,,If you open it for a bit,,when shuting down after a run,,to purge the vaporizer of kero,,it will avoid that shot of kero on startup,,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2006 04:49AM

<HTML>I agree with Jeff. It has to be a White engine. The steam chest cover has the same number of bolts as the White engine. The Locomobile steam chest has only 12 cap screws. The connecting rods have bearing caps for the crank pins on the White where the Locomobile are a one piece rod. The bronze engine frames both look much a like with just a few differences. The simularities between the two engine frames make them look to be made by the same engine builder, Mason. Thank you Jeff for your good work.</HTML>

Date: February 10, 2006 04:23AM

<HTML>Dear Ben in Maine: Thanks for the tip on the check valve in the pilot line. I've added that to my "to do" list. I also like your tip about running some pilot fuel into the burner at the end of a run. I've added that to my little instruction manual. Best Wishes! Don in Dallas.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.