SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
correct oil to use
Posted by: Adam Walkup (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2006 01:45AM

<HTML>On a realated topic to thining oil, I am curious as to what kind of oil different people are using. My 1921 has a Madison Kipp Model F oiler, I'm assuming the same type as the model 740 cars. I have been running straight TK1000. Several people have told me this is not the correct oil, as it mixes with water. Would I be better off using a synthetic? If so, what kind? and do you mix it with anything? If the TX1000 is the best, I'm assuming I should continue running it straight (thick). Also, does a synthetic work better, or as well with the Gould style oil seperator?</HTML>

Re: correct oil to use
Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:41PM

<HTML>TK1000 is a compounded oil, it contains tallow. It will not separate from condensate easily and will cause serious problems in your boiler. If you are running condensing, I suggest TK1500 or its equivalent, a straight (not compounded) mineral cylinder oil.
As yet, I have no experience with synthetics.
In any case, have a surface blow off fitted to the boiler and use it often.</HTML>

Re: correct oil to use
Posted by: Adam Walkup (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2006 01:52AM

<HTML>Where would be the best place to get TK1500 or equivalent? I have 55 gal of TK1000, but can use it in the 09. I would like to find a better oil to use in the 21.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.