SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley boilers
Posted by: David Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:52PM

<HTML>The first Stanleys used copper shelled boilers. By 1908, they used deep drawn steel shells. When did the change occur? What was the first year stock cars ran 600 psi. steam?</HTML>

Re: Stanley boilers
Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2006 11:34PM

<HTML>Dave,
I would think the 06 racer @800psi had a steel shell otherwise it would have been very difficult to run that pressure with a copper shell so maybe it was 1906.
George</HTML>

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2006 01:21AM

<HTML>HI,,,I HAVE SEEN STANLEY BROS GUAGES FOR 350# 400# 500# AND STANLEY MOTOR CARRIAGE ,,500# 600# ALL THE 2 1/4 dia size,,I will try to search for the serial no of these,,,Does anyone have a Stanley Bros guage 100# [or thereabouts] CROSBY 2 1/4 [for fuel ] Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2006 03:40PM

<HTML>David,
There is another question about the change to very deep drawn steel boiler that always interested me.
Considering the thickness of the steel shells, and the fact that they did this in large quantity for the history of the car, just who did this?
It takes a very big hydraulic press, so did Stanleys do it, or was it done by some outside contractor?</HTML>

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:04PM

<HTML>Hi im,,,There were many shops to do this class of work back then,,Not so now,,,IF one was to go this route,,a shallow draw,,say 3'' and weld the rest of the shell on would be probable route,,,Same for forging,,,,Many hammars in any industrial city,,,I actually bought a 800# drop hammar ,,,,that is ,the Hammar was 800#,,total about 8 ton,,I eventually abandoned it where it was when I found out the rigging costs,,,and it would sink YEARLY in the spring when the frost goes out,and probably tip over,,[14' tall] unless I poured a foundation ,railroad ties just wouldnt do it,,,Just think,,Stanley forged rods again,,,,well it was a pleasant idea for a while,,,If anyone is serious,,there are a very few shops left,,and fewer men that can run the machinery,,Spinning,drawing in Gloscester,,and forge at Lawrence and Worcester,, If you have use for a new,,,NEW,,, steel[copper too] rolling mill,,,,thats Morgan in Worcester,,Best mill in the world,,none to my knowlege have been built in USA in years,,28 overseas one year,,Oh well,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:06PM

<HTML>Hi All

There is a company near here that does fabracation and has some very large presses. Friend of mine worked for them. They can form at least 3/8" steel plate. They were making what looked like a very heavy duty oil pan when I visited once. My friend said they were for a Hummer. It was about 6" deep at it max pont. Stainless 3/8" plate was what they were being made from. And this was on one of the smaller presses. Maybe around 40 feet tall. They have one very huge one, 60 to 70 feet tall.

The tooling would to costly for small runs.

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:20PM

<HTML>This still does not answer the question.
Did the Stanleys do their own die drawn boiler shells, or did they subcontract it out? If so, who did it for them?</HTML>

Posted by: Michael Pace (IP Logged)
Date: May 11, 2006 06:36AM

<HTML>Oops!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.