SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Drip-fed Oil burners
Posted by: Jeffrey L. Frusha (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2006 07:50PM

<HTML>Has anyone considered trying a variation on the US Military trash-can water heater? Very simple design capable of boiling and could use filtered-used motor oil.</HTML>

J.L. Frusha

Re: Drip-fed Oil burners
Posted by: Georgen (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2006 05:10PM

<HTML>Jeffrey,
Do you have a link that the unit can be looked at? I know zilch about such a military type burner and it sounds interesting.
Thanks, George</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2006 01:20AM

<HTML>There are two or three articles on these. They appear to be quite dangerous to use so not recommended unless you like blowing things up.
[mostlycajun.com]

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2006 01:07PM

<HTML>Hi,,,I think wer'e talking a pot burner here, I think the army used gas,,,but there are better ways to burn gasolene,,,,No need to filter the oil,,,The old boys I recall using these,,,put a big brake brum in a furnace[whatever] and put tire chain in the brakedrum,, toss in a cup of oil,,2oz of k-1 and 1oz gas then torch it off,,,when the oll has mostly burned off,,,drip in oil at some regulated rate,,,NOT TO FLOOD the thing,,,Draft will need to be attended to,,DO NOT FORGET as the thing warms up,,,any gravity feed will increse an flood the thing,,,,this is how many garages were burned during depression days,,, Another REAL dainger is a slug of water in the oil supply,,,Steam puts out the fire,,,, ,,,, and the hot firebox re ignites the oil when oil returns,,,usually dissasembling the smokepipe,,and you may need to locate the firebox door also ,,,Overall not a flexable system suited for transport work,,,Think about steam atomizer,,maybee,,,DISCLAIMER,This is all for theory and should be only be considerd for ideas,,,Mild clorox solution good for burns,,,does someone recall the percent??? Remember that oil or whatever fuel,,spilled or poured on a HOT surface will prodice a VAPOR BALL which can turn to a FIREBALL in a FLASH,, THINK FIRST,,,Try to see the dainger first,,,Have a plan///and a plan B also,,,,Good Luck Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2006 04:24PM

<HTML>The Whole earth poeple have a waste oil burner project on their site.

[journeytoforever.org]

Sounds like what you are talking about.

Hears another oil burner that looks interesting:

[www.aipengineering.com]

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Jeffrey L. Frusha (IP Logged)
Date: June 07, 2006 04:27PM

<HTML>Ran into another type of drip-fed oil-burner...

It has 3-4 steel plates angled and off-set, to allow complete combustion.

The air enters through the staggered plates and oil is dripped onto tthe top plate, lit (initially) with a rag, soaked in fuel.

This is a box-shaped unit, used for firing pottery-kilns...

The drip-fed unit, from the military, I mentioned, was a water-heater, used to heat C-rations and for hot water to bathe with, in the field.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.