SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flexable Steam Connection and Oil.
Posted by: Brian T. Rankine (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2002 08:13PM

<HTML>I have travelled many thousands of miles over the last 32 years in my Doble Steam Car without a flexible connection in the main steam line to the engine. and so far I have not had any problems.
The original Doble flexable connection was similar to a piston rod gland, placed across the chassis next to the engine and fitted in the steam line, except the line turned within the gland and not in and out as a piston rod would.
I still have this fitting which I removed 32 years ago because it had siezed.
I connected the steam line direct to the engine via a Doble type flange. There is a "U" bend close to the engine as this is where there is minimal movement. The line is suspended about half way on the original spring loaded hanging bracket and fixed at the front before connecting to the throttle. The car is driven over all kinds of roads including dirt tracks and around the paddocks [fields] on our property, which I do occasionaly when I feel like a steam up. The Doble suspension, by the way, is the softest of any vintage car I have experienced. It also has progressive double acting hydraulic shock absorbers.
I am also in doubt as to what cylinder oil to use. As the cylinder oil is drawn from the crankcase of the auxiliary unit, it has to be thin enough to lubricate the crank and bearings in the unit and pass through the valveless injection pump, and some small diameter pipes by gravity. It should be no thicker than 140 gear oil. Doble recommended 30 engine oil. I have always used Shell Valvata 460 high temp. steam cyl. oil which is a bit thinner than 140 gear oil.
The problem as always, is how to remove the oil from the exhaust steam, keeping in mind that some lubrication may be desireable for the vacuum pumps. I have recently fitted a filter of my own design in the water line before the pumps. It appears to be be working very well as it is always full of oil.

Brian.</HTML>

Re: Flexable Steam Connection and Oil.
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2002 05:45AM

<HTML>Hi Brian,

Thanks for the intriguing report on your Doble. Interesting that it runs well without a swivel connection. Are you using a coalescing type filter on the water line?

FWIW, Shell also has a non-detergent motor oil which is probably close to what Doble originally specified. It is called "Aeroshell ND", and is used as a break-in oil on aero engines. This can be special-ordered in 30, 40, and other grades through any Shell dealer, and tech info is at the aero section of the Shell website. I'll defer to Jim's judgement on its suitability for Doble cars, but I do plan to try the 40W on the (quite different) steam engine which I am currently designing.

Peter</HTML>

Re: Flexable Steam Connection /Your Doble
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2002 09:50AM

<HTML>Brian,
So very good to hear from you, I reread your wonderful story many times that you wrote way back then about rebuilding the Doble and going on that long tour with it.
The story of the frustrated Scotsman with his big Speed Six Bentley is a priceless bit of Doble history---I hope Jim Crank will put it in his book. Do you think it would be possible to put that article from an old Light Steam Power on John Woodson's papers area??? I think many that visit this forum would find your article fascinating.
Thanks so much for writing that wonderful story, it is the best I have ever read.
Best, George Nutz</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.