SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
stan brakes
Posted by: les nelson (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2002 07:24AM

<HTML>I have recently restored my 1919 Stanley 735 and find that the hand brake is more efficient than the foot brake . Has anyone tried swopping the linkage to operate the the internal brake on the foot pedal? was it OK?</HTML>

Re: stan brakes
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2002 05:28PM

<HTML>Hi Les,
I think you will find the reason they were set-up like they are is, if you use the internal brakes for the foot brake, with a lot of use the heat expands the drums which can bring on the external brake producing more heat getting the brakes into a catch 22 state, at it's worst catching fire!!!.
Regards, Jeff.</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: April 28, 2002 10:15PM

<HTML>Internal OR external can / do catch fire if abused,,,Its usually the grease / or the wood spokes ,,,Please note as the drum expands the pedal will come back up at ya !!!! Not sure about ''fade''Some of this new lining also is funny,,,See Nergaards comments on GRAB tendency,, Just remember that 2 wheels are breaki'n for all 4 ,,Some of the newer cars will boil the brake fluid,,mechanicals dont do this,,,[3 cheers] the disk use very hi pressure, this is a good thing,,,I think Also ,,check to see that all is well with the external brakes ,,the drums get rusty as they're exposed,,the rust forms tiny li'lball bearings an GREATLY reduces stoping power Same applies to any old car out of storage ,,,But nobody notices because it's out of sight,,an they forgot what pedal pressure they used 10 years ago,,,'n dont tell me my game leg got 'thin to do with this either,,,i'm 23 ,,,only the body got older,,,,,Daytona ORMOND,,2003,,NOV 100anv' ,,,whose got the banner?? Brakes optional haha???? Ben</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: April 30, 2002 08:17PM

<HTML>If you drive a 735 with original brakes, it is wise to learn to use BOTH brakes, as needed. In reverse, the 735 running brake is totaly useless, if you are not using the hand brake, you WON'T STOP! (Been there, done that.)
Setting up the brake linkages is critical. When the car is stationary, if the pedal goes down more than 1/3 the way when you stand on it, you won't get much braking on the road. When moving forward, the pedal will go further due to self actuating tendency of external band brake of the single acting type.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Turvey (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2002 10:42AM

<HTML>Does all this wise advice also aply to a Model 607 - ours is now in so many bits at the restorers I never realised the foot brake was the band brake!</HTML>

Posted by: ronald parola (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2002 11:55PM

<HTML>I'm using the external band as the E brake, bugt I'm cheating with juice brakes internally, and Dot 4 fluid.Ronp</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.