SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Sleeve Oil
Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2002 01:56AM

<HTML>In the absence of sufficient written information pertaining to the design, development and use of modern steam automobiles, I have been going through many marine and stationary steam books. I ran across the mention of sleeve oil, a mysterious marine potion. It is said to be developed by a secondary distallation process of the fuel burnt in the boiler. A 2 or 3 week, continous trip is perfect to make the sleeve oil under the careful watch of the chief engineer. Included in the list of claims, sleeve oil has a negative coefficient of friction as well as amazing lubrication qualities. If the engine were to fail in transit, as much as 12 hours might be required for repairs, putting the ship behind schedule. The repaired engine was then run at 95% as economically as the the 75% rate by using sleeve oil and maintaining the schedule. Supposedly the secret is not let out because "a good chief engineer keeps 2 days extra fuel up his sleeve". Is this a myth or does such an oil exist ? It makes a good story and I can just see a new mate assigned to the sleeve oil detail for 18 hours a day for 2 weeks, just to find out it is a way to break in the new guy.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Re: Sleeve Oil
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: May 07, 2002 10:22AM

<HTML>The usual maritime fuel oil was "bunker C", a residuum from the distillation of crude oil. In other words, when the refiners had gotton every thing they could use by distillation from the crude oil, they sold what was left as fuel oil. It is possible that something very like commercial steam cylinder oil could be distilled from it, but I doubt it would be worth the effort, it is so much easier to just buy cylinder oil.</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2002 12:00AM

<HTML>There are only a handful of ships afloat today that can produce "Sleeve Oil"under the proper conditions. The Liberty Ship, SS Jeremiah O'Brien produced nearly 47 gallons of sleeve oil on its round trip to Normandy the celebrate the "D" Day invasion anniversary. Sleeve Oil is sparingly used on a large cotton swab to just "kiss" the rods while underway. Too much and it will get dragged into the condenser and ruin the feedwater. I know some other steam ships are capable of producing Sleeve Oil but they do not have anyone left who knows how. If you are ever out West you should stop in at the warf in San Francisco. The O'Brian gets steamed up once a month. You can visit the engine room to see and touch this massive three story triple expansion engine while it is running. If you are very fortunate you can follow the turning 20" propellor shaft througn the shaft alley to the stuffing box at the stern of this wonderful ship. While you are there make sure that you also get a good closeup photo of the "Golden Rivet"!
Commodore Dick</HTML>

Re: Sleeve Oil/Steamships
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2002 10:14AM

<HTML>Dick,
Thanks for the information. Almost 30 years ago was on the "Great White Steamship" out of Long Beach going to Catalina---it had two very large triples in it and was wonderful to be in the engine room. Do you know if it still exists and is running??
Best, George</HTML>

Sleeve Oil mystery solved
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2002 10:32AM

<HTML>Here Hear ,,,,3 Cheers for the Commodore,,, It is a wonderful day when we can get answers to questons by the people who were there ,, and especially before the information dissapears,, THANK YOU again,,,Coburn Benson</HTML>

Re: Sleeve Oil/Steamships
Posted by: ronald parola (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2002 12:45AM

<HTML>Speaking of Sleeve oil, do you know there were sleeve valve steamengines?, as in IC sleeve valves, I hadn't even though about that! Ron P</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Heid (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2002 12:17PM

<HTML>Dick,

As the others said, thank you for the information. I figured if it was no prank, it must be a dying art with so little information available. I had been wondering how they managed to change oils while under way. I wish I had a sample to test of this mystery lubricant.

Peter Heid</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.