SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Brake Drums
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2002 12:57PM

<HTML>Help!
Bud Leutza has a 1910 Stanley Model 70 that was built by Carl Amsley and was aquired from Allan Blazick. This car has hydraulic brakes on the rear. The internals are thought to be from a Ford truck. The external band (handbrake) has also been retained. The drums ae modified from some later model vehicle. Does anyone know what Carl may have used for the drums? We are trying to find a replacement without machining a new set of drums from the solid. Any good ideas on ways to identify what we have now could also be helpful.
Thanks,
Dick Vennerbeck</HTML>

Carl's retrofittt Brake Drums
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2002 02:25PM

<HTML>CALL Daryl Kendall in Chambersburg Pa,,,He is currantly doin Stanleys,,,And was working for carl at? that time.,,,,Daryl don't DO copmputr,,,W/ luck never will ,,,likely ,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Re: Stanley Brake Drums
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: May 30, 2002 04:34AM

<HTML>Dick,
I take a stab at your question. I would guess this is one of the kits that was manufactured and sold for Stanley's several years ago. My recollection from conversations with some other Stanley owners was that they used a modified Jaguar brake drum. But knowing Carl it might be most anything!

Alan</HTML>

Re: Stanley Brake Drums
Posted by: Peter Marsales (IP Logged)
Date: May 31, 2002 12:30PM

<HTML>I have a 1919 Five passenger touring that I bought from Carl 7 years ago.
He suggested for this car that I find the front wheel drums out of a 1960 to 65 Ford 350. With a little machining they will fit on the inside of Stanley drum of 1919 vintage at least. Put double acting cylinders in. YHope this might be of some help.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.