SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
steam trap
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: June 04, 2002 08:03PM

<HTML>What's the difference between a water separator and a steam trap.</HTML>

Re: steam trap
Posted by: Rolly Evans (IP Logged)
Date: June 04, 2002 10:09PM

<HTML>Hear is an amateur’s description. A separator in most cases will not have a trap built in. Most separators are of three different types. 1. The impacts type where the partials oil or water in the steam velocity hit a plate and drain off into a sump and the steam goes around the plate. 2. A type designed so the steam changes direction by 180 degrees and the partials continue on to a sump. I have made this type with the steam pipe going into a larger pipe and stopping three quarters of the way in, the steam is taken from the side of the larger pipe near where the steam pipe enters. 3. A centrifugal design where the steam is directed in spiral swirl and the partials are thrown off and drain to a sump. The steam is taken of more or less from the center. Large commercial separators have a trap to remove the condensate or oil from the sump. The traps can be of the bucket type with a float that will rise to drain the sump. Other traps have thermal bellows type where colder temperature will open the trap. And there is the disk type. I use this type under my whistle on my Steamboat to keep the pipe hot and dry. It helps somewhat.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: June 04, 2002 10:09PM

<HTML>Hear is an amateur’s description. A separator in most cases will not have a trap built in. Most separators are of three different types. 1. The impacts type where the partials oil or water in the steam velocity hit a plate and drain off into a sump and the steam goes around the plate. 2. A type designed so the steam changes direction by 180 degrees and the partials continue on to a sump. I have made this type with the steam pipe going into a larger pipe and stopping three quarters of the way in, the steam is taken from the side of the larger pipe near where the steam pipe enters. 3. A centrifugal design where the steam is directed in spiral swirl and the partials are thrown off and drain to a sump. The steam is taken of more or less from the center. Large commercial separators have a trap to remove the condensate or oil from the sump. The traps can be of the bucket type with a float that will rise to drain the sump. Other traps have thermal bellows type where colder temperature will open the trap. And there is the disk type. I use this type under my whistle on my Steamboat to keep the pipe hot and dry. It helps somewhat.
Rolly</HTML>

Date: June 05, 2002 02:11PM

<HTML>Aircraft mechanic knows more about helicopter engines than steam.
Reading alot ...so much information having a problem with confusion.
The 180 turn separator sounds like what we use on turbines to keep the sand from eating the turbine up.And the impact separator is like what you use on aircycles (airconditioner that use air instead freon)except we use foam or cloth cone on frame instead of a plate.
Hoping to get enorgh of grip on the steam theory to, in time take free turbine in my junk bin.The compressor is setup to power the the gearbox turbine like a air version of a torque convertor in a car. Build it into steam pumped steam turbine with unused steam compounded? back to intake.But from what little I read water erosion would be hell on the blades.
The second step is how to convert a burncan to a HPsteam to LPsteam flash burner/boiler?without going over combusion chamber 175lbs work/250psi burst pressure.
Thanks for information, do you know any good books that might help?
With luck...might see a steam '76 Mercedes in 2 or 3 years.</HTML>

Date: June 05, 2002 06:22PM

<HTML>Arnold
Click on Previous Message's top of this page till you find TOP 10 Books
Rolly</HTML>

Date: June 06, 2002 03:28PM

<HTML>Thanks ....for list.
Done saved on my steam floppy.
Label space repainted so many times with white out .Its starting to look like calcium deposits,might be back for another copy.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.