SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Anybody builds new Stanley engine
Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2002 02:30PM

<HTML>Found a chasis shop for a 30's era look modern steamcar.
Harwood. Scared to mention much more until I lineout a few more details.
Is there a steamcar engine manufacturer with engines ready to buy.Harwood's pro-drag 32Chevy frame has enorgh room and beef
in rear for traditional steamcar engine it appears .</HTML>

Re: Anybody builds new Stanley engine
Posted by: tom ward (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2002 11:17AM

<HTML>I haven't found anyone who builds replicas of Stanley engines but I have a few ideas.
Build one yourself.
Better yet build a dozen or so, sell all but one to others to finance your project.
Convert an outboard 2-stroke into a steam expander. You could use bash valves where the spark plugs go. Also it would have uniflow properties like the Doble.
The best boat motor to use is the Mercury V-6 orbital. It comes with a rootes type supercharger to use as an exhaust motor for the fan like the Pritchard. It also has a sealed crankcase. Adapt a diesel injection system with electronic controls tha can be reversed and you will have something more efficient than a Stanley.</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2002 10:12PM

<HTML>Try
John Goold United kingdom 01761 470806 He advertises in "The Steam car the Journal of the Steam Car Club of Great Britain. I've seen two of the cars he rebuilt, superb quality. I do not know if he refurbishes engines or can buld from scratch.
Check out the Stanely museum site www.stanleymuseum.org auction section for an idea of what is avaliable second hand.
Personal view if I was buying a new engine I would purchase one of David Nergaard's piston valve blocks. See the discussion group on www.steamautomobile.com.

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: HOWARD RANDALL (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2002 11:17AM

<HTML>I too would suggest John Gould re: new engines and other new Stanley parts.

There is no shortage of late model Stanley engines out there, only a shortage of sellers. What HP do you want? What is your price range? e-mail me, perhaps I can help. STEAMIN-YANKEE@ATT.NET</HTML>

Posted by: allen blazick (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2003 10:56PM

<HTML>We have 30hp engines under construction in Calif. Two or three are going to be sold, however we project them to be very expensive. Allen</HTML>

Posted by: Robert Gallant (IP Logged)
Date: February 15, 2004 04:24PM

<HTML>I have a 10 hp original Stanley engine and several manufactured 30 hp Stanley engines. Let me know if interested via E-Mail
Bob</HTML>

Posted by: James Perry (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2004 03:38PM

<HTML> Hello, I have been a steam buff for about thirty years and after retiring , I finally opened my own Machine shop. With winter coming real fast, My regular farm customers are done for the season so I have a lot of spare time on my hands. If anyone needs steam engine parts made or rebuilt, send me an e-mail.

I have at my disposal a bronze and aluminum foundry and can turn out a fine casting, if ido say so my self, not bragging of course!

re: Jim</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.