SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Boiler feed pump
Posted by: John Winter (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2002 08:43PM

<HTML>Can any one tell me where I can find some sort of rotary pump suitable for feeding a monotube boiler. The pump will have to overcome a pressure of three hundred psi.
I don't want to have to use a plunger type pump as too much speed reduction will be needed to get away from hammering. How is it done on steam cars. Thanks John.</HTML>

Re: Boiler feed pump
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2002 10:46PM

<HTML>Most roller and gear pumps are hard pressed to reach 300 psi. with water. Gear pumps are used with hydraulic fluid at pressures up to 3000 psi. but I doubt they would run for more than minutes with such a poor lubricant as water. I think your best bet is a slow running plunger pump, preferably with an odd number of cylinders, three, for example.</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2002 11:42PM

<HTML>Look to hi pro pumps,,,,short stroke ,,will do 600# + an been told they run off a electric motor 1750 ,,,will need a charged bott'l to take out the pullse[i'm tired can ya tell] still dont like em but they work,, an ya can buy parts,,, wow,,, now if ya hooked this lil devl to the juce brakes,,,,, oh well for another day,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2002 10:06AM

<HTML>John,
I had just talked to an engineer at Hypro and there pumps rated for 140/`160/180 degrees F ARE NOT to be exceeded as the disk valves and buna-N seats may warp and leak---plenty good for a non-condensing system with cold feedwater but not good for condensing cars. Hypro has no high temperature replacement valve& seal kits, although several have worked fine on non-condensing cars. Jim Crank recommends CAT pumps, very high quality that have higher temperature valve and seal kits but a 4GPH pump may cost $900( a low speed 900 rpm one) and the high temp kit almost as much!!! As hotwell temperatures can exceed 180 degrees F it is a question of concern---have been looking for one myself. At least the old Stalney pumps were not bothered with these "modern" valve and seal" improvements"
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: HOWARD RANDALL (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2002 10:57AM

<HTML>On Stanley, On!</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2002 01:09PM

<HTML>John,
George has passed on my recomendation that you buy and use a CAT pump.
This for several reasons.
1) The CAT pump is far better built than the HYPRO and will pump 180° water.
2) It has an oil bath for the crankshaft.
3) I used one with great success in the steam race car (rated at 20 gpm at 2,000 psi) and there has been one in Doble F-30 for the past twenty plus years with no problems whatsoever.
4) CAT makes both piston and plunger pumps, depending on the pressure desired and the output.

If you want to minimize the parasitic load added by running the pump all the time and using a bypass valve, then put a commercial vehicle magnetic clutch on the pump's shaft and have it activated by the water level control.

If you have problems with flashing due to low head and/or hot tank water, and only after you use the pump for a while, then supercharge the inlet with a small centrifugical pump running off the CAT pump. That solves the problem.
Give the pump a large inlet line and don't have any 90° bends in the inlet plumbing, give the water a straight shot into the pumps inlet. NO restrictions at all.

Yes they cost a bit; but no one ever said steam cars was a cheap hobby.
They do the job and last forever, what else can you ask for?

Jim</HTML>

Re: Boiler feed pump-Thanks
Date: June 21, 2002 12:32AM

<HTML>Gentlemen, thank you all for the great input on pumps for high pressure. So now I hit the scrap yard for some good red brass, fire up AutoCad then the lathe. Do you have any tips on plunger pump design, displacer v plunger, cup v O rings. JOHN</HTML>

Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2002 01:22PM

<HTML>John,
I had the (unfortunate) opportunity to see the roller tappets and camshaft in my old 6.2 l. diesel Suburban. These looked like they would make dandy followers for a cam with a modified ramp. This would help eliminate the "pounding" and provide you with some scrapyard parts. I can't help on the pumping end.
Dick</HTML>

Date: June 22, 2002 03:57AM

<HTML>Dick,
Are you thinking of a spring loaded plunger with a cam follower running on a cam as opposed to a eccentric that will pull the plunger up on the suction stroke, and what is a "modified" ramp. I am only able to machime cams with tangent ramps at this time.
Re your Chev diesel, those engines are knowen for having wippy cam shafts that cleaned out the rollers. Was that the problem with yours.
John</HTML>

Posted by: ronald parola (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2002 05:17PM

<HTML>Check out the Northern Hydraulics cataloge, they have pressure washers for sale down to $99, and even 12V ones. Granted the REALLY cheap ones are probably worthless, the 2 to 3 hundred doller ones have multi piston pumps which with ring and valve material may be useable, and throw the rest of it in the junk box. They seem generally have a working pressure of 12 to 15 hundred psi with a flow of a few gallons a minute, good luck. Ron P</HTML>

Posted by: zahedian (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2004 10:42AM

<HTML>dear sir
please send me list of producers of feed pump for fire tube boilers in range
of rate 2000 to 35000 kg/h and pressure 10 to 30barg

thanking inadvancd-zahedian</HTML>

Posted by: zahedian (IP Logged)
Date: November 21, 2004 10:43AM

<HTML>dear sir
please send me list of producers of feed pump for fire tube boilers in range
of rate 2000 to 35000 kg/h and pressure 10 to 30barg

thanking inadvancd-zahedian</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.