SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
In Search of James D. Crank
Posted by: Bill Sheen (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2002 11:12AM

<HTML>The process of powering vehilces with steam is much more complex than stationary steam powered equipment, and the technology, as Mr. Crank so well pointed out, is expensive - to say the least.

In the design of stationary steam power, little or no consideration has been given to size, or mass of the components. This drives the technology further from its use in mobility.

By producing marketable stationary steam powered equipment, initially incorporating present technology (for initial cost and development), a transition to stationary components designed toward mobility can be incorporated using the profits to help offset the cost of develpment.

Sheen Incorporated has defined such a market and would like to discuss the aspects with Mr. Crank.

So, Mr. Crank, if you happen to read this, or if any readers would be so kind as to advise Mr. Crank, I would be appreciative if he would contact me.

Thank you,

Bill Sheen</HTML>

Re: In Search of James D. Crank
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2002 01:45PM

<HTML>Bill,

Well here I am and you can e-mail me at any time. jdcrank@pacbell.net
Automotive steam powerplants, as opposed to any other use of the Rankine cycle, is one of the hardest fields in which to show good success.
As you said, getting all the components into a modern vehicle is a packing challange that is really tough to do. A stationary or marine system is easy, compared to an automobile installation, and unless this system is designed as an all out powerplant with high pressure, temperature, good power output and good efficiency, there is almost nothing similar except using the Rankine cycle. That is where most developers fall flat on their faces, they simply do not comprehend what it takes to make a good automotive plant.
It is complete and competent systems design that works.
Jim</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.