SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
735 water tank level gauge
Posted by: Adam (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2006 02:38AM

<HTML>I noticed several weeks ago there was a post about water gauge needle. I think Pat Ferrell mentioned a compass needle? My problem is with the float. The original float fell completely apart, and most of my solutions have not worked so well. Anyone find a good replacement???</HTML>

Re: 735 water tank level gauge
Posted by: Eric (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2006 08:50PM

Hey
I had the very same problem, my first fix was with a small plastic vile, about the same size as the original float with a brass tube stuck through it with one end flattened, all held together with epoxy! This lasted about a year before everything wore out. Then I fabricated a new float out of brass shim stock soldered together and the same flattened tube. Made a cylinder out of the stock, then soldered on two end caps, put the tube through and soldered it into place. Then tested it for leaks by putting it in a pan of hot water (the air inside expands and bubbles out of any holes. Soldered on a small pin to fit the spiral cut in the gauge tube. Seems to work well so far. The only problem I had was just trying to keep the amount of solder down to a minimum. Also made the float a bit longer than the original to try and increase the boyancy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.