SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
indicators
Posted by: ron parola (IP Logged)
Date: September 30, 2006 09:23PM

I was interested in making up a digital steam engine indicator. Old Vennerbeck says he recalls seeing something like that in a magazine, but who know which one. Does anyone have any idea what mag, or knows of any plans. Yes they are available out of Germany or Norway for marine diesels but I dread asking the price. Thanks Ron P

Re: indicators
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2006 01:42PM

This post is likely totally useless,,,however,,,,Some 20-25 years ago I recall a steam meet,,,winter,fall?? at a house/shop ,,, near Holliston Ma 100 yards off rt126 ,, the fellow had put trans/ ducer,ciever,,thingie in a steam engine,,hooked the wires to a tv screen [ ossillacope??] and brain,,,can't recall if he had allowd for rod anguarity,,The screen displayed a clean sine wave,,and was responsive to throttle positions,,and shew pressure curve as an indicator,, It was cute as hell , Radio Shack parts I think ,, I think this MAY have been SACA boys before Walter organized the group,, Likely friends of John Clement,,who knew everyone into steam,,,[New England of course] I have no idea of what is needed to make this setup,,,Best of luck,,,Ben

Posted by: angsiglar (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2006 05:12AM

Hi Ron - there were a couple of articles in Steamboating/Steamboaters Handbook back in the mid 1990s (I think). I'll see if I can't dig them out.

Ron Fossum

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2006 10:25PM

Ben I think his name was Leon E. Levasseur from Holliston Mass. I saw it demonstrated at Cedric Witham’s shop years ago. He had two pressure transducers, one on each end of the cylinders and a linear resistor attached to the crosshead. The diagram was shown on an oscilloscope. It worked beautiful. He also demonstrated plastic bearings. It was all built on an AVL compound engine. The plastic bearings never held up when the engine was installed in a boat and under load.

Rolly

Date: October 03, 2006 11:15PM

Hey Rolly,,,Thanks for helping me out,,all sounds like what I recall,,,What group was that,,and year??? Cheers Ben

Date: October 06, 2006 10:34PM

That would be great if you can dig it up, Thanks Ron p

Posted by: Andy (IP Logged)
Date: October 09, 2006 05:18PM

Hello Ron

I have did a little research into Data Acquisition and found some sits that supply boards. These may be of help. Choosing a board and/or software is the problem. You may be able to find something on one of these sites that can be used directly or with custom software and one of the products be able to do what you wont.

Digital O-scopes etc:

[www.atcweb.com]

[www.linkinstruments.com]

PC Boards:

[www.accesio.com]

[www.pc104.com]

[www.advantech.com]

Do a search on eBay for "analog board". You will find some that come with software and some that don't.

Andy

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: October 09, 2006 08:18PM

I found where the article was written up.

Electronic engine indicator
By Leon E. Levasseur
86 Washington Street
Holliston MA 01746

The article was published in Steamboat News issue No 23 Sept/Oct 1988 pages 30 to 32. Part two was issue No 24 Nov/Dec 1988 pages 28-30
The equipment was connected to a 3 X 5 X 4 compound.
I tried to call the old telephone number but it was no longer any good.
I did find a Leon E. Levasseur listed in Holliston as age 78 but no address or telephone #

Rolly

Posted by: Georgen (IP Logged)
Date: October 10, 2006 07:14PM

Ben,
It was one of the midwinter meets at Cedric Withams place and mostly steamboaters were invited. My question about this modern indicator diagram is that it was on a relatively slow turning open frame engine and do not know if it would work sufficiently at much higher RPM's. It did work well and was interesting to see.
Cedric's meets were always a wonderful pep rally for all of us suffering thru another New England winter and would start the new steam year off with enthusiasm.
Year?? You of infinite memory asking me?? I can't remember last week lately.
Best and thanks Rolly, George

Date: October 11, 2006 12:58PM

Hi George,,,,Glad to hear you again,,, Re Rolly's post, I was at the garage at Holliston,AND I never ever got to Cedrick's house,,I only met him at the lake,,and got a ride in the'''Cow Island Belle''if I recall??? This would be before I bought the S.Roper bike , Hmmm I think the Holliston meet was between '70--'80 so Rollys info is probably the correct fellow,,now living w/ relatives,,The shop was on grade w/the road /Rt126,,the house was on TOP of a hill, that they were selling by the yard! plan was to lower the house to road grade,,Son into construction as I recall,,All this not far from a Z in the road,w/ a funny traffic light configuration,,Now to get the indicator to perform at speed,,, make a disk valve timed to crankshaft,,open for few degrees,,run engine at speed and record pressure at that point,,,now move the valve to select a new position and record again,,as many times as needed,to plot a indicator card,,Maybee one could do this w/o the electric stuff I so dearly love,,haha,,, Cheers Ben

Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: October 11, 2006 07:32PM

Cunning plot Ben but I wonder if pressure transducers respond fast enough to get a true reading at particular points in the cycle at normal running speed when you are slicing up the process to build your indicator diagram. Probably similar problems are found in the engine managament ECU's for current gas cars.

Mike

Posted by: Andy (IP Logged)
Date: October 11, 2006 08:42PM

Hi Mike

Good presure transducers respond in micro seconds. The main problem would be heat. Generally an isolation tube is used to get the transducer out of harms way. The tube is liquid filled. I would think that the initia and or flow resistance would tend to destort the reading.

I found a high pressure transduer that could take the heat. But very expensive.

Andy

Posted by: angsiglar (IP Logged)
Date: November 04, 2006 04:05AM

Ron Parola - Ron Fossum back. I have the two issues Rolly mentions and indeed there are six pages of VERY SMALL print with drawings for Leon's indicator. I will be shameless and offer you a deal. Subscribe to one year of Steamboating Magazine by going to the website at [www.steamboating.org] and I will send you top quality 300dpi scans of the pages at no cost.

Date: November 13, 2006 06:42PM

Oh The PRESSURE! Ok I've been dragging my feet, I finally signed up for Steamboating today via Paypal, so I'll be sending in the subscripton form in today or tomorrow, Thanks Ron P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.