SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Car Literature Question - Model 735
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2006 07:41PM

I just acquired a collection of steam car literature. Some is clearly original and some is reproduction, including a number of SACA reprints. Some are of uncertain origin.

Did anyone reprint the:

Price List of Parts for the Stanley Steam Car Model 735?

I have two copies that appear to be slightly different. The paper feels too new to me. It measures 6" x 9" and contains 30 pages plus the covers. There are no illustrations, just lists of parts and prices. The front cover carries a publication date of October 25, 1919.

Thanks for the help!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Re: Steam Car Literature Question - Model 735
Posted by: H J Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2006 03:42PM

Don,

We have a SACA reprint of this price list, measuring 9 x 6" with an original imprint date of October 25, 1919 ("W.L. & Pub. Co."). The cover is stamped with the SACA logo and bears a reprint date of Jan. 1965. However, I found another copy in our SACA reprint files which doesn't have a front cover, and is trimmed down to 8 5/16 x 5 7/16", and there is no reprint information on it. You might want to ask the SACA storeroom folks if they ever reprinted this price list (their stockroom number 120) twice (perhaps they switched printers?) because that's what it looks like.

In the Stanley Museum archives we have what looks to be an original 1919 price list, but it, too, is missing its cover, and it measures 8 1/2 x 5 1/2". We also have an original Model 735 1918 price list, dated October 15, 1918, which measures 9 x 5 7/8" - the "1918" is part of the title on the cover and the front page. From what I can tell, the 1919 version is identical, except they removed the "1918" and left the title without a date.

I don't think Clymer Motors issued a reprint of this price list, as I don't find it listed in their literature. Floyd Clymer seems to have focused on reprinting Stanley literature with illustrations, and as you point out, this price list is simply text.

Jim Merrick

Re: Steam Car Literature Question - Model 735
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2006 11:02PM

Thanks, Jim!

I have two copies of the "PriceList of Parts for the Stanley Steam Car Model 735" in hand, neither are marked SACA, both have the October 25, 1919 W. L. & Pub. Co. in the lower left corner of the cover. Neither have a date in the title.

One measures 5 7/8" x 9" and the other measures 6 x 8 7/8" One is taller and the other is wider! I don't trust the paper, it does not feel old to me and is different than other Stanley literature paper I have.

I am fairly sure they are reprints, I just wonder who did them.

Best Wishes!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.