SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What year Stanley?
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2006 11:49PM

Hi all,

I just located this picture at my local historical society and am trying to figure out what year car this is for them. It looks nearly identical to the model G on page 126 of "The Stanley Steamer" - straight dash, outward sweep of the lower tail, even the tank on the dash & the instrument lamp. The only exceptions seem to be the full fenders and the hub brakes. The tables show the model G appearing only in 1905, but the hub brakes are reported as a 1906 innovation.

What year do you think this one should be? Early 1906? 1905 with a brake retrofit?

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA

Attachments: Stanley_cropped_smaller.jpg (89.7KB)  
Re: What year Stanley?
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2006 02:22PM

Hi,,,,Try page 143,, and add the acessories,, EX 1907--08 would be my guess , The full complement of acessories suggest that they were seasoned travelers,and that this is not their first car,,Spedo cable hangs down, E-J generator at far side of dash,,large windshield and nice top,all suggest traveling a distance,,,not just a round town runabout,, Bear in mind this is all before Ford had introduced the model T [ OCT-1908] AND before the model T had become so very popular,,IS there a local connection to the people? There was interest in racing Stanley up around Wilkes-Barre,,and Scranton at this time,, Hope this helps,,,Cheers Ben

Posted by: kobusali (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2006 01:07PM

Hi, My 1907 EX looks exactly like the car in question. The '07 EX has the straight dash. I agree with Ben on accessories. Standard car did not have those headlamps,the generator or the hood. Stay well Kobus

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2006 04:00PM

I agree with Kobus , but I wouldn’t rule out it being an 08, some time between 1907 and 08 they went with the curved cowling but that doesn’t mean they didn’t use up the bodies they had.
See attachment

Rolly

Attachments: EX Auburn Heights collection.jpg (9.1KB)  
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: November 11, 2006 04:28PM

The photo was identified with the names of the people and the name of the tavern that they were parked in front of. I did some digging and found out that the 2 guys in the car were living at the same address in Columbia, PA in 1903 (no data yet for later). The bulding hasn't been a business for years, but some more digging turned up its location (it's still there). It's about 13 miles from their 1903 address, with some serious hills in between.

The historical society comment says circa 1912 - perhaps based on attire.

Kelly

Date: November 11, 2006 05:59PM

Hi,,,These men are dressed in the proper dress of the day,,And of course ,would dress the car as well,,,note the top is in its envelope,and tail lamp in its baggie,,,, When at home,,they would might be in the garden , doing a bit of planting,,,but in coat,vest sweatter,and tie,,,older worn, saved for that occasion,,,Ahhh,,,memories of my good friend and mentor E.Warner Howe,,,NEVER to be caught in the garden without his jacket,vest,sweatter,and tie,,[no stickpin],,, Today we would call it , costume,, ugh ,,Ben , or would we ?

Date: November 11, 2006 09:05PM

I wish I had more detail on the windshield; I would like to build one for mine. I also noticed the carbide generator in mounted inside the car on the dash. Most were mounted on the running board. It also looks like it has a rear light covered with a canvas dust bag.

Rolly

Date: November 11, 2006 09:32PM

Hear is another original Stanley photo. It was listed as a 1907 but it has the curved cowling.

Rolly

Attachments: 1907 Stanley-EX photo.jpg (75.3KB)  
Date: November 11, 2006 10:31PM

Hi Rolly,,,Note that this top has sideirons ,,,and,,, is the burner out?? Ben

Posted by: H J Merrick (IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2006 04:09PM

The circa 1912 date for the photo may be based on the residential neighborhood being wired for electricity (utility pole in background). The gentleman with his foot on the running board looks like he just came from church on Palm Sunday, which, if so, would seem odd that they are stopped in front of a tavern. Unless they are getting water - taverns often had watering troughs outside for their customers' horses. I also haven't seen a Stanley photo with the carbide generator inside the cab. Other than freeing up space on the running board, would there be some reason to locate it where it is? Easier to check and recharge at night, perhaps? - Jim

Date: November 15, 2006 07:27PM

OOOF,,,,Recharging on the road is a chore I would avoid,,,to clean the cussed thing w/a hose or in a sink is a nasty chore,,,the stuff is stickey,,slimey,,other words,,,rrrr,,, AND if left til morning,,sets up,, not unlike plaster or cement,,,Youll only likely make THAT mistake once,,haha,,,So choose a generator that's charge will do the job for longest trips,,,easier to clean a part used charge,,tho thats not nice EITHER,,,On bumpy roads the water and all move about and generate a bit more gas,,bumpy road,,more gas slower drive,,smooth road less gas,,go faster ??? Rushmore fixed ?? this by adding a hammar,,a weight on a spring,,to bash about,,,thats why a Rushmore always sounds like a piece is loose inside,,,It is,,right under the 1" solderd in cover on top,,,I have never driven with an E-J generator,,so no comment on that,, Has anyone seen a WONDER BUTTON gas jet thingie,,Its a lime disk w/ the jet pointed on it,,common to theatre,, the "LIME LIGHT" They were advertised,,but I have yet to see one,,,,Cheers Ben

Re: What year Stanley? --- Acetylene lights
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: November 18, 2006 08:16PM

Ben-

On my 1912 Shaw motorbicycle, for years I used a Solar carbide light just like the one on Henry Ford's Quadracycle. It was very dependable, burning sometimes for 6-8 hrs, 1/2 time on low flame while parked. It was a great swap meet cruiser for those early hours or late night perusing.

Bumpy roads can sometimes cause over-generation of gas, and if the increased pressure escapes through a gasket, etc, flames outside the fixture can initiate an emergency fire drill......yikes! "Slow down or you'll catch on fire!"

You mentioned a *limelight* - hey, I have the burner for one, pressurized air and acetylene mixer, adjustable stage acepts a round cored insert - maker unknown ---- photo of Solar and limelight are linked below.

[stanleysteamers.com] limelight
[stanleysteamers.com] solar light

CYa,

JW

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2006 10:36PM by JW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.