SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Use of Dry Film Lubricant Coatings
Posted by: geojunkie (IP Logged)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:30AM

I am rebuilding a 1900 Mobile and am thinking of using a flouropolymer coating (Xylan) for some of the engine parts to reduce friction, extend life and improve performance. It is used for race car pistons and valve stems, firearms, and in many other applications that seem more severe than the steam engine. Not only that, but it serves as the paint for appearance and corrosion protection. The parts I am thinking of are:

- Pistons
- Slide Valves
- Cross head guides
- Valve stem guides
- Link and link block
- water pump piston
- possibly the piston rods and slide valve stems
- the exterior of the connecting rods, eccentric rods, cylinders, heads, steam chest cover for looks

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this. The stuff impregnates into the metal and they say retains added slickness even if visually worn off. You can get many colors, but the black looks nice and low sheen. I need to paint the beadblasted steel anyway. I am not thinking of this to eliminate oil, but to provide a more forgiving situation. Plus the stuff cleans easily... it is much like the teflon in pans... nothing sticks to it. It is also cheap. It seems almost too good to be true, which is why I am asking before I take the leap.

Second question... has anyone ever polished the brass frame on these early engines. I didn't like the dull appearance after bead blasting off the paint and have started some polishing, not wanted to paint over that pretty brass, but with all the cracks and crevasses it looks to be a daunting task.

Many thanks,

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.