SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Strange Stanley hood
Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:26PM

The attached Jerome Biederman print was the centerfold in the HCCA Gazette of March-April 1969. What caught my eye was the odd opening in the front of the hood. And something's sticking out that looks like a little flared tube or a hand pull - suspiciously like a choke.

I don't know if I've ever seen another picture of a Stanley that looked like that, but Biederman seems to have been a pretty careful artist. He specialized in cars, locomotives, and aviation, and created many beautiful prints through his career.

Any idea what might be going on with this one?

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA

Attachments: Biederman1.jpg (99.3KB)   Biederman2.jpg (53KB)  
Re: Strange Stanley hood
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 12, 2007 03:28PM

Dear Kelly, Biederman used way too much artistic license on this 1910 Stanley roadster. The front axle wraps up and over the top of the lower spring. Wrong. The fuel pressure and the rear water pump by pass valve handles at the drivers heel are levers. Wrong. The water sight glass under the seat is a lever instead of a glass water column. Wrong. There is about a 4 inch gauge face wrapped around the lower end of the parking brake handle. What the....? The hood stands about an inch taller than the cowl, and the head light forks are attached to the front springs instead of between the spring and the frame. Wrong. The print abounds with errors. That is why it is always smart to always to refer to vintage photos and factory literature for answers to your restoration questions. Biederman sure missed the mark of correctness on this one. What did he paint it from, his failing memory?

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 12, 2007 10:38PM

The artist is likly not a mechanic,,as he has the hand brake all the way back to the stop, indicating the brake needs to be adjested,,,point 2, these models came WITH horn and sidelamps,,,while the driving lamps were optional at customers choice,, tho an owner could have removed them,,,No doubt he was using a faded photo as reference,,Cheers Ben

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:09AM

Youch - what a mess. I'd better rethink my "pretty careful artist" comment.

Kelly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.