SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New Blocks
Posted by: ron parola (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2007 04:35PM

Justin Goold of the Goolds in the UK says he's got a new 20 hp block for sale, ready to go, with new valves, chromed valve stems etc. They are asking $2400 plus shipping. And does anyone know if 750's have a proper steam loop or just a very slight rise at the boiler. Thanks Ron Parola

Re: New Blocks
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2007 10:09PM

The purpose of the loop is to keep oil out of the superheater,,oil feed is on the down side leading to the engine,,Dont forget copper oil line workhardens and breaks,,many blocks ruined ,,,Ben

Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: February 15, 2007 10:46PM

The loop also provides some lengthwise flexibility in the steam line. As far as I know the Model H Stanley, because of lack of space under the hood, did not have a steam loop. I did mine like that but constantly had trouble with keeping the elbows in the pipe by the engine steam tight. Solved the problem by making a horizontal coil in the pipe about twelve inches diameter which lies under the pump pit. Works perfectly. The oil connection is in the steam pipe about 5 inches after the superheater in a slight downslope of the pipe - I am not aware of oil getting into the superheater although I have wondered whether it might be better to feed the oil nearer the engien where the steam would not be as hot.

Mike

Posted by: ron parola (IP Logged)
Date: February 16, 2007 08:04PM

Well, oil isn't a problem as it is pumped back to the motor. Expansion isn't really a problem as the 750 has a horizontal "loop" at the motor, not a flex joint as the 740. In the owners manual as reprinted by SACA the line drawing for the 750 has only a small rise at the boiler. I'm just trying to keep it as stock as possible. Cheers RP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.