SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley's threads 20 TPI
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2007 06:49AM

I have been busy making parts for my model 85 and in good concious, I just couldn't make them any other way than what the Stanleys did with their 20 TPI thread count. I have been lucky so for in cutting the male threads on my lathes, but threading holes with out a tap is a pain in the butt if you don't have that size tap. I can make an inferior tap or if I can, I can turn the part on the lathe. Often a pain in the butt with a blind hole. Now I am down to doing brake rod adjusting turn buckels. They have an unusual 5/16" left hand thread, 20 tpi. I have two cars that need 10 turnbuckels for 10 brake rods. (The brake rod from the brake pedal to the brake cross shaft had a turnbuckel on it too.) I just ordered that impossible to find left hand 20 TPI tap on line from McMaster- Carr. They had all of the other 20 TPI right hand taps that I needed too. :-)

Re: Stanley's threads 20 TPI
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2007 03:22PM

Hi Pat,,,Manhattan Supply has a real good catalogue also,,,and has a good selection of odd stuff,,,,and good prices too,,,I think Dave and I have mentioned them before,,Some of these so called odd ball sizes were war surplus from the War of the Rebellion,,,Same thing for Indian cycles,, I'm glad to hear all is progressing,,,Gee I would have thought they would have just put a clevis on the end of the rod w/ a checknut,,,that way it would not be possible to viberate loose,,and could only be adjusted by pulling the cotter and pin and turning the clevis,,Series 3 and 4 Pierce Arrows had only 2 left hand nuts as I recall,,LF wheel spindle,,and clutch nut on flywheel,,useless trivia I know,, Cheers Ben

Re: Stanley's threads 20 TPI
Posted by: ed cooksey (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:41PM

Pat I get special tap and dies from MSC, which may be Manhattan supply. I not sure.
Also you can use 8 -1.25mm for 5/16 -20. Ace hardware usually has that.
MSC 1 800 645 7270

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.