SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1884 De Dion, Bouton Et Trepardoux Steam Car sold at auction
Posted by: beamersteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2007 05:45AM

Last week I attended the Gooding and Company auction at Pebble Beach California. 133 antique and classic cars were sold at this auction for a total of 60 million dollars.
One of the cars was a very very old steam car, a 1884 De Dion, Bouton Et Trepardoux Dos-A-Dos. It was made in Paris. It is claimed to be the oldest operating automobile in the world. It sold for 3.2 million plus the 10% premium that goes to the auction company. I heard the auctioneer say it went to a museum in Texas.
I was able to spend a few hours looking over the car during the auction preview time earlier in the day. I had a lot of fun tracing out the various systems trying to figure out how the car worked. I took many pictures. I may have lost my pictures as I am getting an error message from the memory card in my digital camera.
Gooding and Company has a video clip of this car running on their website: [goodingco.com].
Beamersteamer

Re: 1884 De Dion, Bouton Et Trepardoux Steam Car sold at auction
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:56AM

Can annyone find the pic of A. De Dion taken w/his young chaffeur[now in his 80s]in 1941,,,,driving in Paris,at the start of the war,during the German occupation,,Chauffur name was Zu Lele I think,,,in his employ since the steamer was new,,,musta been a sight,,,Is this the one that was at the Anderson museum in Boston [Brookline] several years ago ?? Cheers Ben

Re: 1884 De Dion, Bouton Et Trepardoux Steam Car sold at auction
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2007 02:05AM

I rode w/Joe Knowles on the R.Dudgeon 1866 steam wagon a few years back,Joe drove I was fireman,,steam at 65--85 psi,,that one was the 2nd built by Dudgeon ,in Philadelphia,,,The first one was destroyed in the Crystal Palace fire 1850 something,,,Cheers Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.