SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Freeze Plugs & Thick Felt Gaskets
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2007 01:57PM

Does anyone have a source for flat (domed) freeze plugs? The BettyAnne is slowly coming back together and I need two 1" plugs for the bottom of the bearing holding the front wheel spindles. I also need a 1 3/8" plug for the gear box in the pump pit.

The rear end needs thick felt gaskets, about 1/2" thick. Does anyone have a source for these?

Speaking of bearings, I finally found the 1" wide 5210 bearing for the rear end. They are actually measured in mm, but 1" is pretty close. My bearing house had 5210 bearings but they were closer to 1 1/4" wide.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Attachments: zComing back together (90).jpg (146.8KB)  
Re: Freeze Plugs & Thick Felt Gaskets
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2007 02:54PM

Dear Don, Nice photo of your frame. Your local parts house should have the 1" freeze plug and the felt gasket material you need. If they don't carry the felt gasket go to [www.mcmaster.com] and type in felt for a search word. For the plug in the pump pit, check out the local hardware store for the proper one. If they don't have one, then make one. To convert from inches to metric, I use my digital caliper that I bought at Grizzly Tool for $29. With a click of a button, it instantly converts from inches to metric, and if you need to, back again . When measuring bearings, there isn't any room for measuring error as they come in too many sizes to be just close in size. 1/4" is a mile of difference when it comes to measuring bearings.

Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2007 04:22AM

Dear pat:

Thanks very much for the note! Unhappily, although McMaster has over 450,000 items in stock, their felt gaskets do not measure 2 1/2" in diameter! They do have felt stock from which I will cut the gaskets.

I've gone to all of my local auto supply shops with samples of the domed freeze plugs and no one has then, not O'Reilly, not NAPPA, not anyone! The pump pit plug is also a domed freeze plug but it is 1 3/8" diameter. I'll try to get you a picture.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Don Hoke

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:18AM

Dear Don, I expected you to cut the felt gasket from the felt gasket material. All the parts houses that I buy from carry freeze plugs. Google "freeze plug" and you won't find any shortage of freeze plug supply. An example of open stock freeze plugs available would be at [www.imperialinc.com]. In my home shop I always stock an assortment of freeze flugs for my Sunday afternoon emergency repair. In old gas engines they soon rust through and they need replacing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.