SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Hands for Stanley Kidney Water Level Gauges
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: August 28, 2008 08:46PM

I have a potential source for reproducing Stanley kidney water level gauge hands. Is anyone interested in having some made? Let me know.

Best wishes!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 08:52PM by Don Hoke.

Attachments: Water Level Hand (1) SMALL.JPG (20.8KB)   Water Level Hand (2) Small.JPG (33.3KB)  
Re: Hands for Stanley Kidney Water Level Gauges
Posted by: John Buscher (IP Logged)
Date: August 31, 2008 01:46PM

Don,
I have made several of these hands for fuel and water level gages out of cheap carbon steel hacksaw blades.

Anneal material, scribe the outline (drill pivot hole first).

Grind shape to outline using bench grinder (with a sharp corner on the wheel), file corners and detail of the shape.

Harden by quenching in oil, temper to dark blue. The pivot piece is made of either brass or stainless, either staked in place, or soft solder.

Magnetize by wrapping a few turns of heavy wire, lift the hood of your car and zap by briefly touching the terminals on the battery (carefully!), or rub on a strong magnet.

I have seen original hands finished in white, black paint, and blued, depending on the dial finish.

John Buscher

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.