SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Put Together Steam Car - Any Help on Its History?
Posted by: Don Hoke (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2008 01:45AM

Last spring I acquired a put together steam car and before its non-Stanley parts go to Essex collectors, I'd like to document the car.

I bought it from Dan Haynes, who bought it from Dennis Daugherty. Dennis tells me he bought it around 1990 - 1992 from a Russian named Vladimer ________ who worked in a steel mill in Antioc, CA,

The car has an Essex/Hudson frame (according to the Essex experts) from the front to about 2/3 back. Then some other wider frame is welded on. There is a strange rear end built to take a Stanley engine, and a spot on a frame cross member where the front engine hanger was once attached.

The disk wheels have Essex hubcaps. There are two pieces of angle iron welded across the front of the frame to hold a Stanley type boiler.

The body is a large Stanley type sedan body.

I'd like to document the history of this car. Does anyone know anything about this car or Vladimer the Russsian in Antioc, CA? Is he still around? Where did he get the car?

Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best wishes!

Don Hoke

Wanted: Parts for 1924 Stanley Model 750 and 1925 Stanley Model SV 252. We buy steam car parts and literature. Visit the virtual steam car museum at www.virtualsteamcarmuseum.org.

For all your steam car needs, visit www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Attachments: California 750 and Parts 032 SMALL.JPG (57.8KB)   California 750 and Parts 083 Small.JPG (48KB)  
Re: A Put Together Steam Car - Any Help on Its History?
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2008 01:42PM

Hi,,,The rear frame,,from the shackles up look a bit like 1924--1927 4cyl DODGE,,,Ben

Re: A Put Together Steam Car - Any Help on Its History?
Posted by: mike clark (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2008 09:16PM

Nice body
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.