SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ebay nameplate s/n 15091
Posted by: laheyth (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2008 12:44AM

I see a nameplate for sale, the car is probably long gone.
I looked in the Kit Foster Book, and it should be a 1905.
Is there records to tell what the car was?
Is it prudent/ legal/ethical to rebuild a car to a nameplate?...seems like a cool project .

I would like to build an R, but this idea is interesting...

Re: ebay nameplate s/n 15091
Posted by: jhl1963 (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2008 06:27PM

Isn't this 1915?

[www.stanleyregister.net]

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:02PM

The serial number plate on eBay is for a 1915. Starting in 1915, the first two digits were for the year ('15) and the last three digits were for the serial number in numerical order as it was to be built. There is only one 1915 Stanley steam car left that I know of and Allen Blazck owns it. If one was to use an original serial number plate and build a car to that number, he should do two things. One is to make sure that the car with that serial number plate no longer exists, and two, check the Fred Marriott boiler warranty serial number sheets and see that you are building the same body type that the serial number was assigned to. Anyone that picks a serial number at random for the year of Stanley that he is building should be darn sure that the number is not already used. There are presently more than a couple of Stanleys using the same serial number. How would you explain that to your State licensing auditor when you went in to apply for a title? With today's internet, the State licensing auditor should be able to do a nationwide search to see if anyone else is using that same serial number that you are applying for. Also keep in mind that many of the Stanleys have vintage license plates on them and since they haven't changed hands in over 30 years, those particular Stanleys may no longer be carried in the computer data base of the State licensing auditor. Any museum that is worth it's salt has a Stanley or two on display, and those Stanleys haven't turned a wheel in many, many years. Those too may be missing for the State Licensing auditor files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2008 02:09AM by SSsssteamer.

Date: November 04, 2008 02:11AM

Yup, I err'd reading the number into the register..., where does one access the Fred Marriott boiler numbers?

Date: November 04, 2008 03:19AM

Rhoda Green I would suppose still has the original serial number list. There are a couple of copies of it around but I am not at liberty to say who has them. Sorry. Carl Amsley used the Fred Marriott warranty serial number list to tag many of his sweepings cars from. Carl was one of the people that didn't check the serial numbers of existing cars and ended up accidentally using the serial number again of a car that was still surviving. It didn't take long before he wasn't allowed to view that list anymore. I live on the wrong side of the country to give you anymore information on this matter. Contact someone in the New England area to find out more about the availablitlity of the Fred Marriott warrenty serial number list.

Date: November 07, 2008 04:28PM

The 1915 Stanley serial number name plate sold for $131.38

Posted by: Kelly (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2008 01:56AM

It's interesting to read this discussion just now. A few days ago someone wrote to me at the Stanley Register Online [www.stanleyregister.net], saying he'd looked up the serial number of his car and found a different car already listed with that number. Now, both of these cars could be considered re-creations, assembled probably 10-15 years apart, using bodies and parts from various sources. The writer's car includes an original part identified with the serial number in question. He asks "Which car is the real [serial#], that one or mine?"

My goal in maintaining the Register is to list every Stanley that there is, together with distinguishing information about each. Regardless of the background of any of these cars, they're not Buicks or Packards. They're not "street rods", old bodies with newer mass-production powerplants. They have boilers and burners; 2-cylinder steam engines on the rear axle; pumps, tanks, automatics, and throttles; coffin-nosed hoods or tillers or condensers.

Hopefully there will be enough information in the Register listings that anyone who feels they need to make a judgment about using a word like "original", "real", "authentic", "reproduction", etc., will be able to do so for themselves. I will probably have to reply to this writer that I can't answer his question, as there is not an accepted definition for "real".

But this is a topic that will always warrant reflection and re-evaluation. I'd be interested in people's current opinions.

Kelly

Date: November 09, 2008 01:21AM

I understand all the concerns.
Reflecting upon the earlier comment about the Marriot serial number list,..(and qualifying my comment with the fact I have never seen the list)it would seem to me to be a valuable addendum to the register so one can see the original configuration of a vehicle....and whatever else is in that list.
Case in point, I have made friends with an owner who has what is clearly an old Stanley, but I can see enough changes to the car to be unsure what it really was, and to be able to see some info would possibly help clarify what model it really is...
I fail to see why that info would need to be kept from the community.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.